This edition has also been released as:
Summary: For undergraduate first-level courses in Basic Reading. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
This basic reading text offers the most opportunities for content area readings and practice of any basic reading text written at the 7th-10th-grade level. The first of a three level reading series, this text focuses on the essential reading skills and strategies needed for effective comprehension of content area and textbook readings. The 2nd edition maintains its focus while providing more authentic ...show more practice material--numerous text excerpts and three complete college textbook chapters--in addition to a variety of other readings.
- NEW - Full color design and format--Presents a more inviting appearance with the use of full color throughout and printing the text chapters in their original designs.
- Provides students with an easier to use text where key elements, issues and vocabulary are more easily identified.
- NEW - Examples and chapter readings updated to include more content area readings.
- Provides students with important information that they can use immediately to read in their other college courses; as well as mimics "real" textbooks.
- NEW - Concentrated emphasis on inferences and understanding main ideas and implied main ideas.
- Enables students to focus on this key reading issue and to work on the underlying skills of making inferences, main idea and implied main idea.
- NEW - Revised treatment and new themes-- Includes new or revised material in Theme 1: It's All About Attitude; Theme 2: A Healthy Environment and Theme 3: Speaking with Confidence are new to this edition.
- Provides students with thoughtful themes that factor in such issues as student interests, current affairs, readability level, and writing style.
- NEW - Appendix material-- Includes a revised Facts, Opinions, and Reasoned Judgments section in Appendix A.
- Provides students with a comprehensive reference work in an easy-to-use format.
- Emphasis on textbook reading practice as the means to transfer skills and strategies to other classes.
- Provides students with examples that show them how to apply these new skills in their future college careers and beyond.
- Sound chapter pedagogy--Includes "An Idea to Think About," objectives, a review with summary of key ideas, a self-check section, "Putting It All Together" exercises, a crossword puzzle, and writing and discussion ideas in each chapter.
- Presents students with a strong, cohesive framework for each chapter, giving them ample opportunity to practice and learn.
- Instructor's Edition & Instructor's Manual with Test Bank--Contains answers to all exercises, with a Notes for Instructors section that includes a syllabus suggestion, general principles to guide instruction, specific ideas and activities, and the readability data on the text's multi-paragraph readings.
- Provides instructors with extensive course support to cut down on preparation time and offer resources to best prepare for class.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.