Summary: This highly successful program offers a flexible, concise introduction to grammar and communication for students and professionals seeking a working knowledge of the Spanish language. Designed for one- or two-semester courses in Introductory Spanish, Basic Spanish Grammar offers a wealth of features and components that also make it ideal for college extension courses, adult and continuing education courses, and Spanish courses for professionals or special purp ...show moreoses. In six correlated manuals, students apply the structures presented in Basic Spanish Grammar to practical contexts and develop vocabulary for specific purposes. The core grammar text and correlated manuals may be used together in any combination or independently. A wide array of supplements enhances the program, including corresponding audio programs for each manual, a comprehensive testing program, and tutorial software for additional practice of grammar and vocabulary.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 00
The Sixth Edition features a revised scope and sequence and a new design that enhances the text's clarity. In addition, more communicative activities have been added and Computer Study Modules 2.0 enliven grammar and vocabulary practice. All but one of the accompanying career manuals (Spanish for Communication, 4/e) have been revised to correspond with the new edition.
- The main text features two preliminary lessons and 20 regular lessons. Essential communicative concepts are introduced in Lección preliminar I, enabling students to begin speaking on the first day of class.
- A revised scope and sequence features earlier treatment of many key grammar points and constructions, including subject pronouns, the present indicative of ser, forms and position of adjectives, possession with de and possessive adjectives, ir a plus infinitive, expressions with tener, the present progressive, and direct object pronouns.
- Each lesson presents three to six main grammar points, accompanied by Práctica exercises for reinforcement.
- A core vocabulary list containing high-frequency words opens each lesson and is then recycled throughout. Vocabulary has been revised to correlate with the revised scope and sequence.
- Every lesson concludes with the En el laboratorio section, providing vocabulary, grammar, and listening comprehension practice in correlation with the Basic Spanish Grammar Audio Program.
- ¿Cuanto sabe usted ahora? self-tests appear after every five lessons, with answers in an appendix, allowing students to monitor their own progress.
- Useful informal greetings and farewells have been added to Lección preliminar I .
- The Spanish-English and English-Spanish vocabularies have been revised and updated.
- Computer Study Modules 2.0 offer grammar and vocabulary practice for each chapter of Basic Spanish Grammar to help students master Spanish.
CAREER MANUALS Note: These features are shared by all seven career manuals.
- A new design makes the manuals' organization clearer and enhances their visual appeal.
- Each of the manuals focuses on practical vocabulary for career-related situations and is accompanied by its own audio program.
- Each lesson of the manuals features realistic dialogues, personalized questions, situational role plays, and realia-based activities and corresponds grammatically with those in Basic Spanish Grammar. Lessons of Getting Along in Spanish and Spanish for Communication correlate thematically, grammatically, and lexically with those of Basic Spanish Grammar.
- Notas culturales have been revised and updated and highlight Hispanic customs and traditions relevant to the subject matter of the manual.
- Following the vocabulary lists in each manual, the ¿Recuerda usted? and Para conversar sections provide immediate reinforcement.
- The ¡Vamos a practicar! grammar practice sections in each manual now feature an answer key so students can monitor their own progress.
- Lecturas sections in Spanish for Medical Personnel, 6/e, Spanish for Law Enforcement, 6/e, Spanish for Teachers, 5/e, and Spanish for Social Services, 6/e, feature four readings with a follow-up comprehension activity.
- The Un paso más sections offer additional vocabulary practice and realia-based activities.
- The Repaso sections feature a Práctica oral, which is recorded on the corresponding audio program.
- The Testing Program has been expanded to include vocabulary quizzes for every lesson of Getting Along in Spanish, 5/e, and of each career manual.
- Four handy pocket word/phrase books contain vocabulary words and phrases found in the career manuals for quick, on-the-job reference.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt