Summary: This tried-and-true text from the pioneer of the basic technical mathematics course now has Addison-Wesley's amazing math technologies MyMathLab and MathXL helping students to develop and maintain the math skills they will need in their technical careers.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 05
Technical mathematics is a course pioneered by Allyn Washington, and the eighth edition of this text preserves the author's highly regarded approach to technical math, while enhancing the integration of te ...show morechnology in the text. The primary strength of the text is the heavy integration of technical applications, which aids the student in pursuit of a technical career by showing the importance of a strong foundation in algebraic and trigonometric math.
Allyn Washington defined the technical math market when he wrote the first edition of Basic Technical Mathematics over forty years ago. His continued vision is to provide highly accurate mathematical concepts based on technical applications. The course is designed to allow the student to be simultaneously enrolled in allied technical areas, such as physics or electronics. The material in the text can be easily rearranged to fit the needs of both instructor and students. Above all, the author's vision of this book is to continue to enlighten today's students that an understanding of elementary math is critical in many aspects of life.
- Relevant and abundant exercises (over 8900), examples (Approx 1000) and figures (about 1000).
- Special Caution and Note indicators identify and aid students on difficult topics throughout the text.
- Flexibility of Material Coverage. An important and critical feature to the Washington approach to technical math is the flexibility of the table of contents. The chapters of the text are easily adapted to the specific needs of the students as well as the instructor. Certain sections or chapters may be omitted without loss of continuity, and chapters may be reorganized for a customized syllabus. Notes and suggestions on how to reorganize the material are contained in the Answer Book.
- Graphing Calculator.The graphing calculator is integrated and emphasized throughout the text, though it is still not required for the course. This integration includes over 160 graphing calculator screens pictured in the text.
- Design.The open design is an important aspect that continues in the eighth edition. The spacious layout allows for additional graphing calculator screen graphics in the margin, which helps students visualize the graphing technology.
- Word Problems and Solutions.Throughout the text, approximately 120 examples present complete solutions to word problems. These examples are clearly indicated in the margin by the phrase ''solving a word problem.'' In addition, the text includes over 900 word problems within the exercise sets.
- Exercises and Figures.The eighth edition includes over 1500 new exercises. Over 200 new figures have been added to help students visualize applications and concepts.
- Writing Exercises. The number of writing exercises has been increased. An icon highlights the writing exercises in the text. These exercises reinforce student understanding, as they require students to verbalize their answers.
- End-of-Chapter Material. Each Chapter ends with Chapter Equations, Review Exercises, and Practice Tests.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Basic Technical Math - With Calculus, Si Version (Canadian):