Summary: Arthur Best and David Barnes draw on their years of experience in teaching and writing about torts to ensure that Basic Tort Law: Cases, Statutes, and Problems is user friendly for both students and professors. Concise and accessible, this casebook introduces cases and explains important concepts using clear, direct language and pedagogy.
Classroom-tested features that have made this casebook a success include:
* Contemporary conception and co ...show morentent with the most current thinking on all of the key issues
* Appealing, memorable problems based on actual reported cases that reinforce understanding and help students to build analytical skills
* A balance of modern and classic torts cases including Vaughan v. Menlove (on standard of care), Palsgraf v. Long Island Railway Co. (on duty and legal cause), Vincent v. Lake Erie Transportation Co. (on doctrine of incomplete privilege ), and Greenman v. Yuba Power (on product liability)
* Ample background information that places cases and statutes in context and captures student's interest
* Introductory and transitional notes that promote close attention to each case, as well as perspective notes that explore a range of viewpoints on tort law
Updated throughout, the Third Edition includes:
o Updated statutory material and references to the Restatement (Third) of Torts
o New cases on the revised approach to duty and proximate cause adopted in the Restatement (Third) of Torts
o Expanded legal malpractice coverage, which will be of particular interest to professors who wish to respond to the recent Carnegie Report findings that students need more exposure to ethics issues and need better acculturation and professionalization
o Refreshed case selection so that focus is on modern cases
The third edition of Basic Tort Law: Cases, Statutes, and Problems continues to offer a well-articulated, classroom-tested pedagogy that makes torts accessible and engaging. ...show less
8 more offers below.