How the book will help you in the course:
- Introductory ChemistryNow is included with each new copy of the text. This web-based assessment-centered learning tool was developed in concert with the text. Throughout each chapter, icons with captions alert students to media resources that enhance problem-solving skills and improve conceptual understanding. Students are provided with a Personalized Learning Plan, based on a diagnostic Pre-Test, that targets their study needs and helps them visualize, organize, practice and master the material in the text.
- OWL, a fully customizable and flexible web-based homework management system and assessment tool, is available with the text.
- Within the text, a P/Review icon alerts students to a topic already studied or is yet to be studied. P/Reviews preview ideas that the student will learn more about later in the course, or they may review concepts that have already been studied.
- "Thinking About Your Thinking" comments help students understand new ways to think about chemistry. These features encourage students to think the way chemists do, and focus on critical thinking. These broad thinking skills can then be applied to new contexts in future chemistry courses, in other academic disciplines, and throughout the student's life.
- Learning objectives, identified simply as Goals, appear at the beginning of the section in which each topic is introduced. They focus attention on what students are expected to learn or the skill they are expected to develop while studying the section.
- Clear in-chapter summaries and procedures appear throughout the text. These allow students to reflect on what they've just studied and help them learn how to learn chemistry.
- "Target Check" questions at the end of a section enable students to check their understanding of a topic immediately after studying the section. Although used primarily for concepts rather than problems, where immediate feedback usually appears in an example, some Target Checks are problems that vary slightly from the examples they follow.
- An "Everyday Chemistry" section is included in each chapter, which moves chemistry out of the textbook and classroom and into the daily experiences of students. New "Everyday Chemistry" essays have been added to this edition.
- Effective end-of-chapter material includes: Chapter in Review, Key Terms and Concepts, Study Hints and Pitfalls to Avoid, Concept-Linking Exercises and abundant questions, exercises and problems.