This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This is a concise, affordable, applied paperback research methods text by Earl Babbie, who defined how to teach the research methods course with his standard-setting text, THE PRACTICE OF SOCIAL RESEARCH. The streamlined Third Edition of THE BASICS OF SOCIAL RESEARCH focuses particularly on the application of social research, emphasizing the fundamental concepts of both quantitative and qualitative research methods. Inductive chapter openings pose social research pro ...show moreblems that are addressed and resolved in each chapter through the application of key chapter concepts. Each chapter contains detailed examples and sections on how to interpret the results of data analysis. The text provides students with the necessary tools for understanding the basics of social research methods and for applying these concepts both inside and outside the classroom.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 05
- Each chapter begins with a boxed feature entitled "An Opening Quandary" that describes a puzzle or a seeming paradox relevant to the particular chapter. As students progress through the chapter, they'll find that the chapter will clarify the quandary. Each chapter then ends with the feature "A Quandary Revisited," which re-addresses the quandary and provides an explanation. Together, the features introduce and illustrate the application of chapter concepts.
- Coverage of both quantitative and qualitative research methods is integrated throughout.
- The author uses practical examples and emphasizes the application of social research methods.
- The author shows students how to practice preferred research techniques.
- A complete chapter covers the ethics and politics of social research.
- The text's Companion Web site features tutorials, additional exercises, and a statistics review.
- The "Multimedia Resources" section that appears at the end of each chapter includes search terms that will lead students to informative articles using InfoTrac College Edition.
- NEW! A new chapter on reading and writing research papers (Chapter 15, "Reading and Writing Social Research") has been added to reflect the importance research methods instructors place on reading and writing research papers effectively.
- NEW! A new Research Writer CD-ROM (automatically bundled in each student text) provides a template for writing reports and collecting data, along with prompts and helpful tips to assist students in the writing process. The CD-ROM also provides video clip chapter overviews by Earl Babbie himself to help students grasp the important parts of each chapter.
- NEW! The SPSS 11.0 student version CD-ROM can (optional) be packaged with the text, and subsequent versions of the software will be updated as they become available. This is an optional bundle, and can be ordered by using the following bundle isbn # 0534221688.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of qualitative research methods now includes richer examples that make the coverage more vivid and effective for students.
- Applying the Results features show students how a particular logical discussion or research procedure applies to the world around them.
- NEW! A new running glossary places concise definitions at your students' fingertips as they progress through the chapter, as well as when they go back to review.
- NEW! More examples and explanations have been added to help students master the concepts they need to understand so they can practice and apply what they learn both inside and outside the classroom.
- NEW! The text includes more web resource integration than any other competing text, including references to the GSS, Census 2000, and SPSS web sites. For example, Babbie shows students how to analyze GSS data using the analyze program offered on the GSS web site. Similar to MicroCase, it provides students with another opportunity to work with data on their own without finding, buying, and learning a new data analysis program.
- NEW! The Basics of Social Research, Third Edition supplements package includes WebTutor Advantage for Blackboard and WebCT with a wealth of substantive material created by Earl Babbie, material based on what he, himself, uses in his classroom.
- NEW! A new Multimedia Manager Instructor Resource CD-ROM (053463043X) is located in the printed instructor's manual, and includes book-specific PowerPoint Lecture Slides, actual graphics from the book itself, the electronic Instructor's Manual , the Test Bank, CNN Video Clips, and links to many of Wadsworth's valuable Sociology resources.
- NEW! A new "Wadsworth's Sociology Online Resources and Writing Companion" workbook is available to package with this (and any other Wadsworth/Thomson Learning) book. This valuable guide shows students how they can use Wadsworth's exclusive online resources-InfoTrac College Edition, the Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center, and MicroCase Online-to assist them in their study of sociology and build essential research and writing skills.
- NEW! All the Appendices have been moved to the book's companion web site and can be easily accessed, read, and printed online. The appendices are: A. Using the Library, B. Random Numbers, C. Distribution of Chi Square, D. Normal Curve Areas, E. Estimated Sampling Error.
- Each chapter includes relevant Internet links so students can learn more on their own about topics covered in the chapter that are of particular interest to them.
- Technology integration of SPSS, MicroCase, HyperResearch and NVIVO statistical software programs and examples provides students with easy access to key productivity tools.
- Primers on how to use SPSS, NVivo, and Qualrus, as well as a primer on statistics, are available for free on the companion Web site.
- Many of the examples presented offer great depth and focus on the "how to" of doing research.
- Theoretical examples are balanced with real-world examples throughout the text.
- End-of-chapter Review Questions provide an additional tool to students when they review each chapter, along with the point-by-point summary, list of key terms, and the wealth of chapter quizzing and review resources available on the companion Web site.
- Earl Babbie's engaging and approachable writing style makes research methods easier for students to understand.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Basics of Social Research - With CD: