This edition has also been released as:
Summary: A concise, affordable paperback research methods text from Earl Babbie, who defined how to teach the research methods course with the publication of THE PRACTICE OF SOCIAL RESEARCH. The streamlined second edition of THE BASICS OF SOCIAL RESEARCH emphasizes the fundamental concepts of both quantitative and qualitative research methods. Inductive chapter openings pose social research problems that are addressed and resolved in each chapter through the application of ke ...show morey chapter concepts. Each chapter contains detailed examples, and new sections on how to interpret the results of data analysis. The second edition features increased technology integration as well. SPSS, MicroCase, HyperResearch, and NVIVO statistical software examples are given throughout the text. Web icons indicate where practice exercises and tutorials are available on the companion web site. The text provides students with the necessary tools for understanding the basics of social research methods, and for applying these concepts both inside and outside the classroom.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 02
- Brief format for more concise coverage of research methods.
- NEW! A new Chapter 3 on "The Ethics and Politics of Social Research", includes discussion of Institutional Review Boards and Informed Consent Forms.
- NEW! Chapters 5 and 6 have been combined to form a single chapter entitled "Conceptualization, Operationalization, and Measurement".
- NEW! There are two new chapters on qualitative research: Chapter 10 entitled, "Qualitative Field Research" and Chapter 13 entitled, "Qualitative Data Analysis".
- NEW! Chapter 16, "Social Statistics" has been removed from the text and placed on the companion Web site.
- NEW! Each chapter will begin with a boxed feature entitled, "An Opening Quandary" that describes a social research issue. The concepts presented in the chapter will refer back to the opening quandary, where appropriate.
- NEW! Each chapter ends with a boxed feature entitled, "A Quandary Revisited". These features illustrate the application of chapter concepts to answer the initial question posed at the beginning of the chapter ("An Opening Quandary").
- NEW! "Applying the Results" sections have been added to chapter examples to show students how to interpret the results of data analysis and to relate it to the original problem posed.
- NEW! Internet boxes are now integrated throughout each chapter describing Internet links relevant to chapter material posted on the companion web site.
- NEW! The number of examples overall is reduced, so that individual examples will have greater depth and will focus more on the "how to" of doing research, and less on the findings.
- NEW! Inclusion of MicroCase and qualitative examples will create a balanced mix along with SPSS examples.
- Engaging and approachable writing style.
- NEW! The number of real world examples has increased to balance theoretical academic examples.
- NEW! Additional material on evaluation research; proposal writing and budgeting.
- NEW! End of chapter Review and Exercises have moved to the Internet; continuity project deleted.
- NEW! Primers on how to use SPSS, NVIVO, and HyperResearch are available on the companion web site.
- NEW! Each chapters multimedia resources include InfoTrac College Edition key search terms.
- Total Integration of both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Use of practical examples and emphasis on the application of social research methods.
- Demonstration of how to do preferred research techniques.
- Complete chapter on the ethics and politics of social research.
- Technology integration of SPSS, MicroCase, HyperResearch and NVIVO statistical software programs and examples.
- Companion Web site featuring tutorials, additional exercises, and a statistics review.
- NEW! Chapter 1 includes causation material from Chapter 3.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2002