This edition has also been released as:
Summary: In this revision of Miltenberger's popular BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION, students first master the principles and concepts of behavior modification before they move on to the procedures. This approach gives students a chance to understand WHY they are going through the procedures before they actually do them. The author presents a precise, step-by-step scientific approach to explain human behavior, using numerous case studies to help illustrate the key principles. Miltenber ...show moreger's first edition built a reputation for currency of scholarship and an engaging writing style--characterized by interesting examples, ample graphs and illustrations, flawless definitions, and a clear organization. Professors and students especially appreciate Miltenberger's end-of-chapter applications and misapplications of behavioral principles that give students a feel for using what they've learned.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 01
- Miltenberger is best known for his currency of scholarship and engaging writing style--especially his use of interesting examples, ample graphs and illustrations, flawless definitions, and clear organization.
- NEW! Previously separate chapters (Chapter 9 on Differential Reinforcement, Chapter 14 on Antecedent Control and Chapter 15 on Promoting Generalization) have been eliminated and their content woven within other chapters to create a more manageable, streamlined presentation.
- NEW! Applied Exercises using Tables of Examples that appear in the procedures chapters (4-8) give students an opportunity to work with the same set of examples to first identify, then apply, and finally extend difficult-to-understand concepts. For example, in Chapter 4, students first identify "operant behaviors" and "reinforcers" for each example in Table 4.1, then determine whether each example of reinforcement is positive or negative.
- NEW! Answers to the Applications/Misapplications now appear in the Instructor's Manual, by popular demand.
- NEW! Sniffy Lite, an interactive, hands-on, software program, is available packaged with the text as an optional bundle for those professors who wish to provide animal examples illustrate principles. The text uses those same principles and applies them to humans. The 16 exercises from "Sniffy" appear in the Instructor's Manual.
- The book models the behavior modification principles it teaches: each concept is presented, explained, and clarified by discussing pertinent research and then is brought into focus with examples showing how each behavioral principle can be applied to everyday life.
- End-of-chapter exercises demonstrate applications and misapplications of behavioral principles and give students a feel for using what they've just learned.
- Numerous clinical and research examples in the application chapters show how principles work in practice.
- Coverage of antecedent control procedures for increasing or decreasing target behaviors is more extensive than in other texts. This book discusses topics such as response effort, competing behaviors, establishing operations, and how to manipulate these to influence a target behavior.
- NEW! A wide variety of examples using different populations in multiple settings (including college students, school-age children, and people with developmental disabilities) provides a uniquely wide lens with which to consider behavior modification principles.
- NEW! Opening questions at the front of the chapter now parallel the chapter summaries.
- NEW! Practice Tests now appear at the end of the chapters with page references for easy student review.
- NEW! A redesigned Table of Contents proceeds more logically: procedures to establish new behaviors and procedures to change existing behaviors are consolidated so coverage is more streamlined.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc