Summary: For courses in Turfgrass Management and Golf Course Management.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
This text provides up-to-date basic and applied information on new products, grasses, and techniques used to develop best management practices for golf courses. It covers grasses available, their selection and use, soils and soil amendments, pest management and IPM practices, and environmental concerns and strategies. The author and 27 acclaimed contributors share their expertise in areas rangi ...show moreng from turfgrass to environmental science. The most current and comprehensive publication on the market, Best Golf Course Management Practices provides the need-to-know information that leads to successful golf course construction and maintenance. Its in-depth, easy-to-read style is ideal for golf course superintendents, their staff, owners, club officials as well as students of 2- and 4-year schools.
- Coverage of available varieties of turfgrass plants--Describes in laymen's terms their adaptations, physiology and growth, development characteristics, and possible alternatives.
- Helps explain the expectations and limitation of various grasses to non-turfgrass professionals such as golf course members, greens' committees, and general managers, providing an excellent "study guide" of these explanations and limitations.
- Factors that influence turfgrass growth and survival--Includes chemical reactions, interaction of soil and temperature properties, and soil organisms.
- Discusses the complete interaction of living and nonliving soil properties affecting turfgrass growth and development--as well as those that may limit this, helping users avoid common problems.
- In-depth discussions on the various means of designing and constructing golf courses--Includes a general sequence of events outlining necessary steps to plan, permit, and actually construct a golf course.
- Familiarizes users with important practical considerations for the growing business and golf course construction.
- Comprehensive treatment of plant nutrition, turf fertilizers, fertility programs, and pertinent fertilizer calculations.
- Explores the major and minor nutrients involved in turfgrass plant growth and development, their interactions, critical need levels, and related soil and tissue recommendations--along with best management practices to maximize fertility use.
- Presentation of water use and conservation.
- Supplies users with material on particular turfgrass watering needs, rate, and timings, and how various management techniques and soil amendments affect these.
- Best turfgrass management practices.
- Emphasizes proper mowing, aerifying, verticutting and topdressing requirements for various turfgrasses and their uses.
- Best pest management and control practices.
- Lists and discusses the interaction of agronomic practices, pest occurrence, Integrated Pest Management strategies and techniques, and control options.
- Best pesticide and nutrient management and handling practices.
- Provides helpful information on developing frequently required strategies for the safe, effective, and legal use of pesticides, best golf course environmental protection, sprayer and spreader calibration, pesticide calibration formulas, and metric system conversion formulas.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2005