Summary: For courses in Bilingual Education, Bilingual Special Education, and Multicultural Special Education. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 04
The leader in the growing bilingual special education field, this edited text offers future teachers, counselors, psychologists, and speech/language specialists an understanding of the major needs of bilingual children who also have disabilities. Chapter sequence highlights the connections between the common knowledge base, programs, and methodologies of s ...show morepecial education and those of bilingual education, in order to explore ways to help exceptional children of Asian, African, Hispanic, and Native-American heritage succeed in today's increasingly inclusive educational settings. Throughout the text, the authors carefully balance a solid theoretical foundation with practical information that students can use in the classroom.
- NEW--A rewritten chapter on language acquisition and assessment--Chapter 6.
- Familiarizes students with recent research on this topic--gives them the benefit of the latest thinking on how children "learn" language, as well as how to judge language skills and how to identify challenges.
- NEW--A revised chapter on consultation--Including discussion of the role of the consultant and a model of educational consultation.
- Illustrates the rationale for collaboration between special education and general education professionals--encourages students to view consultation as a collaborative process between concerned educators.
- NEW--Thorough updating in every chapter--Addressing changes in demographics, research, legislation, and regulations since the previous edition.
- Ensures that students understand the environment in which they will work--familiarizes them with current state and federal legislation, recent regulations, the latest research data, and the changing makeup of the bilingual special education learner population.
- Hands-on instruments, forms, and checklists--In the chapters on assessment and instruction.
- Comprise a basic "tool kit" for creating authentic assessments that can be used to inform culturally-sensitive instruction--serve as helpful study guides at exam time, as well.
- Summary and Discussion Questions --At the end of every chapter.
- Focus students' attention on major chapter content--Provide an opportunity for readers to gauge their understanding of key topics.
- Reference sections--After each chapter.
- Point students to additional resources, including relevant Web sites--offer access to helpful information for research paper topics, assignments, and self-study.
Publisher: Merrill Education/Prentice Hall