This edition has also been released as:
Summary: In Biochemistry, the questions can be more revealing than the answers. This Third Edition offers a unique conceptual and organizing framework, "Essential Questions." Guiding students through the density of the material by the use of section head questions, supporting concept statements, and summaries, this focused approach is supported by unparalleled text/media integration through BiochemistryNow, providing students with a seamless learning system. Beautif ...show moreully and consistently illustrated, the Third Edition gives science majors the most current presentation of biochemistry available. Written by a chemist and a biologist, the book presents biochemistry from balanced perspectives.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 05
- NEW! The "Essential Questions" framework provides a more focused approach for students to work through the dense material in the Biochemistry course, by use of section head questions, concept statements, and end-of-chapter summary sections. These "Essential Questions" form the basis of the diagnostic Pre-Test questions found at BiochemistryNow, effectively linking text and media like no other program available.
- "A Deeper Look" boxes explore material more in-depth, such as historical information or special interest topics.
- "Human Biochemistry" boxes focus on topics related to medical biochemistry.
- Chapter 3, "Thermodynamics of Biological Systems," presents fundamental thermodynamic relationships useful for understanding energetics of cellular metabolism.
- In Chapter 5, "Proteins: Their Primary Structure and Biological Functions," and Chapter 6, "Proteins: Secondary, Tertiary, and Quaternary Structure," and appearing throughout the rest of the book, a gallery of ribbon diagrams and space-filling computer graphics captures the diversity of biomolecules.
- Chapter 12, "Recombinant DNA: Cloning and Creation of Chimeric Geners," illustrates the enormous power of this tool to biochemical research.
- The rapidly changing fields of cellular signaling, covering hormone action, oncogenes, and neurological disorders, are integrated into Part IV.
- Four-color molecular graphics developed specifically for the book give three dimensions to many complex biomolecules. Color-coding of the molecules facilitates identification. In addition, highly praised illustrations tell the whole story of biochemistry, providing students with a powerful visual aid. To visually reinforce students' understanding, illustrations are accompanied by corresponding legends that label parts, steps and explanations, descriptive information and pedagogical use of color--for easy identification of what is happening in the illustration.
- Sound pedagogy, including helpful in-text examples, end-of-chapter further readings and problems, contributes to students' mastery of the material. The end-of-chapter problems have increased in number by 50 percent and those that integrate material from other chapters are so marked. End-of-chapter problem sets also include "Preparing for the MCAT Exam.
- NEW! Current topics covered in context of the narrative include protein folding, proteomics, new updates on the Human Genome Project, cellular signaling, and more.
- NEW! A new Chapter 30, "Post-Translational Processing of Proteins and Protein Degradation," includes a comprehensive discussion of the structure and function of ribosomes.
- NEW! Membranes and membrane transport are now combined into Chapter 9 for a more cohesive coverage.
- NEW! The order of the enzyme mechanism chapter (now Chapter 14) and regulation chapter (now Chapter 15) has been switched in the Third Edition so that mechanisms more closely follow kinetics.
- NEW! Chapters in Part IV, "Information Transfer," have been combined to make for a tighter presentation and a more concise, 32-chapter book.
- NEW! Powerful online and presentation tools accompany the Third Edition. These include a new and improved Multimedia Manager CD-ROM--a digital library and presentation tool that includes hundreds of images (text figures and tables) from this book, animations, and topic-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentations.
- "Critical Developments in Biochemistry" boxes pique student interest with information on new advances and technologies.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.