Summary: Physics and engineering departments are building research programs in Biological Physics, but until now there has not been a synthesis of this dynamic field at the undergraduate level. Biological Physics focuses on new results in molecular motors, self-assembly, and single-molecule manipulation that have revolutionized the field in recent years, and integrates these topics with classical results. The text also provides foundational material for the emerging field of
nanotechnology. The text is built around a self-contained core geared toward undergraduate students who have had one year of calculus-based physics. Additional "Track-2" sections contain more advanced material for senior physics majors and graduate students.
Summary: Physics and engineering departments are building research programs in Biological Physics, but until now there has not been a synthesis of this dynamic field at the undergraduate level. Biological Physics focuses on new results in molecular motors, self-assembly, and single-molecule manipulation that have revolutionized the field in recent years, and integrates these topics with classical results. The text also provides foundational material for the emerging field of nanotechnology. The text is built around a self-contained core geared toward undergraduate students who have had one year of calculus-based physics. Additional "Track-2" sections contain more advanced material for senior physics majors and graduate students. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:04 Cover: Hardcover Publisher:W.H. Freeman Published: 08/28/2003 International: No
View Author Bio
Nelson, Philip : University of Pennsylvania
View Table of Contents
I: MYSTERIES, METAPHORS, MODELS
1. What the ancients knew Sets the stage by outlining Schrodinger's "What is Life?" Reviews some background from elementary physics and chemistry.
2. What's inside cells Pictorial tour of the molecules and structures to be studied in later chapters.
II: DIFFUSION, DISSIPATION, DRIVE
3. The molecular dance Introduces basic kinetic theory. Discusses Delbruck's analysis of X-ray mutagenesis experiments and his deduction that hereditary information is carried by a long-chain molecule.
4. Random walks, friction, and diffusion Includes biological applications such as membrane permeation and the Nernst relation.
5. Life in the slow lane: The low Reynolds-number world Includes biological applications such as bacterial propulsion and vascular networks.
6. Entropy, temperature, and free energy Introduces these central concepts. Includes: "RNA folding as a two-state system" by J. Liphardt, I. Tinoco, Jr., and C. Bustamante
7. Entropic forces at work Discusses osmotic pressure, electrostatics in solution, and the hydrophobic effect.
8. Chemical forces and self-assembly Includes biological applications such as dissociation of macromolecules, electrophoresis, and self-assembly of micelles and bilayers.
III: MOLECULES, MACHINES, MECHANISMS
9. Cooperative transitions in macromolecules Discusses DNA stretching experiments, the helix-coil transition, and allosteric transitions.
10. Enzymes and molecular machines Sets up the problem of random walks on energy landscapes, then gives biological applications including enzyme kinetics and the analysis of single-molecule experiments on molecular motors.
11. Machines in membranes Discusses ion pumps, resting membrane potentials, and the chemiosmotic mechanism; then discusses recent single-molecule experiments on the ATP synthase motor. Includes: "Powering up the flagellar motor" by H. C. Berg and D. Fung
12. Nerve impulses Introduces the Hodgkin-Huxley mechanism, then analyzes recent patch-clamp experiments on single ion channels. Global list of symbols and units Numerical values Index
2003 Hardcover Good Item may show signs of shelf wear. Pages may include limited notes and highlighting. Includes supplemental or companion materials if applicable. Access codes may or may not work...show more. Connecting readers since 1972. Customer service is our top priority. ...show less
$55.50 +$3.99 s/h
Black Oak Books Holdings Corp. CA Berkeley, CA
2004 H hardcover As Is As-is; cover rubbed/very faintly bumped, corners rubbed/lightly bumped, spine ends rubbed/bumped; edges lightly soiled; previous owner's signature in black pen on front paste...show moredown, light underlining in black pen sprinkled throughout first 60 pages of textblock; binding cocked; cover, edges, and interior intact and clean except as noted. Due to the size/weight of this item, additional shipping charges may apply for Expedited or International orders. ...show less
$55.89 +$3.99 s/h
Buyback Express Alton, IL
2003 Hardcover Fair Noticeable wear, but still very usable. Clean, mark-free interior! SHIPS W/IN 24 HOURS! Processed by DHL with USPS delivery for an average of 3-5 Day Standard Shipping & 2-3 Da...show morey Expedited Shipping! ! FREE INSURANCE! Fast & Personal Support! Careful Packaging. No Hassle, Full Refund Return Policy! ...show less
$72.50 +$3.99 s/h
oblivion books wa seattle, WA
2003 Hardcover Good Pictorial Boards Hard cover. ? Clean text--NO writing, NO highlighting to text. ? Soiling along edge of leaves. "Used" stickers along spine and rear cover. Good condition.
$152.22 +$3.99 s/h
bargainforce Chicago, IL
No comments from the seller
$381.84 +$3.99 s/h
Lyric Vibes Geneva, IL
Hardcover New 0716743728 New Condition *** Right Off the Shelf | Ships within 2 Business Days ~~~ Customer Service Is Our Top Priority! -Thank you for LOOKING: -)
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.