This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534588403, 978-0534588595
ISBN10: 0534588409, 053458859X
Summary: This #1 best-seller has successfully introduced thousands of students to the intricate relationship between biology and psychology. This Eighth Edition redefines the high standard set by previous editions. It offers the best balance of rigor and accessibility, the most current research, and the most thorough technology integration available for your course--all presented within a unique modular format that supports student mastery and provides instructors with maximu ...show morem teaching flexibility. In every chapter, Kalat accurately portrays biopsychology as a dynamic and empirical field in which fascinating new discoveries are constantly being made. He captures readers' interest with the latest biological psychology findings, such as how gingko biloba claims to aid memory and coverage of the hypothesis that humans' mate choice patterns are influenced by natural selection. Throughout, the author's goal is not only to convey information, but also to convey his excitement about and dedication to the subject.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 04
- NEW! Included FREE with every new copy of the text is a book-specific Biological Psychology CD-ROM that contains simulations, virtual reality videos, animated art, and quizzing.
- NEW! In Chapter 14, Kalat has extensively revised his coverage of dyslexia.
- The text's modular format includes 2-5 modules per chapter for easy chunking and frequent review.
- This is a flexible format for professors who want to skip certain sections or reorder them.
- Visually, this text continues to bring content to life through colorful, rich illustrations that reflect the vibrant nature of biological psychology. Kalat's attention to detail makes it easy for students to visualize even the most complex concepts.
- Try It Yourself experiments embedded in the text offer students the opportunity to experience certain research findings directly. For example, students learn about the functions of the parietal lobe by trying to watch their own eyes move in a mirror and finding out it is impossible.
- Key Terms appear in blue and are defined where they appear in the text with definitions highlighted.
- Their boldface type presentation draws attention to their importance, helping students to master new terminology.
- Stop and Check review questions help students test their knowledge, and appear at the end of each main section.
- Methods boxes help students understand and appreciate research in biological psychology.
- Integrated throughout the text, these boxes are placed in chapters where the methodology is first introduced. For example, PET Scans are discussed in Module 3.3, "Synapses, Abused Drugs, and Behavior."
- NEW! Several hundred new references from recent research give instructors and students the most current findings in biological psychology. Examples include: a substantial new section on the hypothesis that men's and women's mate choice patterns are influenced by natural selection; a new research discussion showing evidence that caffeine protects against Parkinson's disease; a new study that partially replicates LeVay's findings of a difference between homosexual and heterosexual men in the anatomy of their anterior hypothalamus; and a new discussion of gingko biloba and other "nutritional supplements" that claim to aid memory.
- Each semester, Kalat sends out "Research Updates" describing hot findings in areas covered by the book.
- Four months of free access to InfoTrac® College Edition is automatically packaged with the text. Students have 24-hour-a-day, online access to full text articles (not just abstracts) from thousands of quality sources--making research and paper-writing easier.
- NEW! Kalat has reorganized throughout and added new content to better meet the needs of today's students and to reflect recent research. For example, in Chapter 7, he offers a new module on attention (including material on neglect that was previously in Chapter 4, "Anatomy of the Nervous System"). He also has significantly expanded his section on attention deficit disorder; moved coverage of drugs from Chapter 3 to Chapter 15; and moved coverage of hormones from Chapter 3 to Chapter 11.
- NEW! The discussion of sociobiology (evolutionary psychology) has been expanded. Cross-references to later chapters show students how different topics are integrated within the field.
- NEW! Many new Try-It-Yourself exercises are included to help students apply concepts to their own lives.
- NEW! For example, new exercises show how peripheral vision is impaired by interfering patterns, how negative color afterimages depend on comparisons across the whole object (not just local retinal interactions), and how brightness constancy can produce amazingly powerful illusions.
- NEW! More critical thinking focus in Stop and Checks features (found at the end of each module) challenge students to digest the information. In addition, end-of-chapter reviews pull all of the chapter's content together.
- NEW! Web sites are identified within the text to encourage students to investigate further. In addition, these Web sites point toward review materials for the chapter. For example, one Web link goes to a site that gives a simple review of the basics about resting potential and action potential.
- NEW! Chapter 4 includes a new module on methods of research into nervous system function.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc