This edition has also been released as:
Summary: BIOLOGY, Seventh Edition by Solomon, Berg, and Martin continues to be the best-liked and most student-friendly introductory majors text available. In this edition the authors have created a learning system that makes the chapters easier to navigate and provides a variety of ways for students to learn the material. "Learning Objectives" are now strategically placed throughout the chapter following major headings, and there are review questions at the ends of ...show more these major sections. "Chapter Summaries" are now organized around the "Learning Objectives" as well, making it easier for students to return to the place in the book that can help them work through the end-of-chapter material. Icons throughout the chapter direct students to the BiologyNow CD and tells them what they will find there. BiologyNow, the new Student CD-ROM for BIOLOGY Seventh Edition, is also based on these "Learning Objectives" to further reinforce the text's concepts. The BiologyNow CD, fully integrated with the Seventh Edition text, provides access to diagnostic pre-tests for each chapter. It also automatically generates customized learning plans for students, directing students to the information in the book, ancillaries and media program that will help them master specific concepts. Post-tests allow students to assess their progress as well. And now Brooks/Cole offers vMentor, a FREE online live tutoring service. Students can ask questions, get answers, and they don't need to set up appointments! For instructors, a Multimedia Manager provides the text art in PowerPoint form. Instructors also receive an Instructor's Guide, ExamView Electronic Testing and WebTutor course management options. Solomon, Berg, and Martin have gone beyond presenting facts for memorization -- they have created a well-designed pedagogical system through their use and reuse of chapter "Learning Objectives," which is supported by an unbelievable package of materials for instructors and students.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 05
- Abundant photograph/line art combination pieces enhance the text. These combination pieces connect concepts to the way things actually look, and have been unanimously praised by reviewers.
- NEW! Current coverage includes extensive updates in genetics, systematics, and immunology.
- NEW! A new free Student CD-ROM, BiologyNow, is a powerful learning tool that helps students assess their unique study needs. After the student takes a diagnostic pretest, based on the "Learning Objectives" in each chapter, the program creates a personalized learning plan that takes them to specific text sections and interactive animations they need to review. A post-test assesses mastery of concepts. Additionally, there is a convenient link to an exclusive online tutoring service, vMentor.
- NEW! A content rich Companion Web Site completes the outstanding technology package accompanying BIOLOGY, Seventh Edition. The Web site has the quality tools you have come to expect from our highly regarded Web resources, including focused quizzing, a glossary complete with pronunciations, InfoTrac College Edition and Internet activities (with questions), chapter summaries, learning objectives and annotated Web links. Moreover, specialized genetics problems are included. These resources are now as assignable as possible, including questions using InfoTrac College Edition exercises, Internet exercises, and the all-new Genetics resource. The Web site is an incredibly valuable complement to a powerhouse package reinforcing the undeniably effective pedagogy and broad appeal of the Solomon text.
- NEW! A Resource Integration Guide on the book specific web site and in the Instructor's Manual provides a chapter-by-chapter list of resources that can be easily integrated into your lecture and homework plan.
- NEW! vMentor! This is a FREE, online, live tutoring service. With this service you know that students who have missed office hours can get one-on-one tutoring for daily homework or exams. Access is provided with vClass, an Internet-based virtual classroom featuring two-way voice, a shared whiteboard, chat, and more.
- Current research and appropriate coverage are hallmarks of BIOLOGY. The authors are diligent about ensuring that their book represents contemporary scientific thought with current coverage. Areas of current research activity are emphasized throughout the text.
- The authors emphasize accuracy. More than 400 reviewers have contributed ideas and confirmed the content throughout the seven editions of this text, contributing not only to the accuracy of the information presented but the usability of the content.
- Each member of this highly expert author team draws on vast experience in a particular specialty (Eldra Solomon in animal physiology; Linda Berg in botany and ecology; and Diana Martin in genetics), ensuring writing breadth and accuracy in all areas.
- The authors have incorporated engaging stories into the text in features called "The Process of Science" (indicated by a small icon) at the beginning and end of the passage). These stories discuss the process that that led to a particular scientific discovery.
- CNN® Today Videos (294 in all), are an appropriate lecture launcher to introduce current applications and investigations to your students. All of these clips have been shot during the last six years.
- A Multimedia Manager providing the ultimate lecture preparation tool for Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides and other media is available. All the illustrations and many of the photographs from the text, plus several animations, are at your fingertips on this popular CD-ROM. A unique segmentation feature allows users to select a piece of a figure and enlarge it to show more detail. The figures can also be written on to highlight ideas during a lecture.
- NEW! A learning system now embedded in the text design uses "Learning Objectives" placed throughout the chapter. These Learning Objectives are then tied to the end of chapter material as well as to the Student CD-ROM content.
- NEW! Introduced in the last edition, "Sequence Summaries, " found throughout the chapter narrative, reduce the steps of a process to a clear formula so that students can quickly see the progression. There are more Sequence Summaries throughout the text in this edition, with a new design that makes them easier to find. This is ideal for students who are visual learners and for all students it is a great aid in note taking.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Biology - With CD: