Summary: Biology: Concepts & Connections, Fifth Edition invites students into the world of biology with a new revision of this best-selling text. It is known for scientific accuracy and currency; a modular presentation that helps students to focus on the main concepts; and art that teaches better than any other book. The fifth edition builds upon this success with new features that help students synthesize and connect important topics such as Connecting the Concepts exerc ...show moreises and Key Concepts quizzes; and a variety of tools to help instructors enliven their lectures like our exclusive video clips from Discovery Channel.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 06
- Chapter-opening essays focus on topics of human interest-such as multiple births in the age of infertility treatments and saving endangered plant species via helicopter in Hawaii-to show students how biology affects their lives and the world around them.
- Concept modules organize content by major topics, helping students focus on the main ideas. Each module provides everything a student needs in order to master a concept (text, art, checkpoint questions, and related media activities). This format also allows professors to easily pick and choose which content they want to cover within each chapter.
- Connection modules-on topics such as fad diets, the effects of alcohol on the liver, and global warming- cover hot issues and connect the science to students' lives.
- Talking About Science modules contain short interviews with prominent scientists, personalizing the scientific process for students and exposing them to exciting areas of biological research. New modules include Genomic researcher Eric Lander's discussion of ethical questions raised by DNA technology; Plant scientist Natasha Raikel's studies of the Arabidosis plant as a model biological system; and Environmental scientist Max Moritz's discussion of fire's role in ecosystems.
- Over 600 checkpoint questions test student comprehension and understanding on every module in the book.
- Interactive CD-ROM/website with over 3,000 quiz questions and over 300 interactive learning activities tied specifically to text content.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Biology : Concepts and Connections - With CD and Study Guide: