This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Cecie Starr and Ralph Taggart are among the most successful authors in introductory, biological science instruction because of their lively approach, engaging writing style, current coverage of the breadth of biology's topics, and their unique illustrations. In this Tenth Edition of Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, the authors use the important connections among molecular structure, biological function, and evolution to encourage student understanding instea ...show mored of memorization. For example, Chapter 1 includes a preview of life's unity and diversity with an evolutionary perspective. Similar sections in Chapters 3, 5, and 6, on the structure and function of enzymes and other molecules, prepare students for chapters on cell structure and metabolism, genetics, evolution, anatomy, and physiology. This background prepares students to understand the power of comparative molecular studies in clarifying evolutionary relationships. Connections essays (28 in all) focus on this new integration of molecular structure, function, and evolution. The first essay (1.4) answers an important question: How can life display both unity and diversity? It shows how the theory of evolution by natural selection connects the two. Other essays consider evolutionary interplays between infectious agents and their hosts; cloning and genetically engineered mammals, the evolution of life over the past 3.8 billion years, and archaeopteryx and the ancestry of whales (to show that interpreting the past scientifically requires an intellectual shift). Improvements in the media package meet the high standards instructors have come to expect. There is a new version of the complimentary Interactive Concepts in Biology Student CD-ROM with nearly 800 interactions to clarify and reinforce key concepts. For instructors, there is a Multimedia Manager with art and graphics from the text already in PowerPoint format, as well as CNN Today video clips (294 in all), now available digitally.Edition/Copyright: 10TH 04
- NEW! New interwoven emphasis on the relationship between structure, function, and evolution, starting at the molecular and cellular levels and extending throughout the book.
- NEW! vMentor: FREE Live Online Tutoring. Available FREE to your students when you adopt this book is text-specific one-to-one online tutoring help with a subject area expert who has a copy of the text you are using in class. vMentor features two-way audio, an interactive whiteboard for displaying presentation materials, and instant messaging. With vMentor, students interact with the tutor and other students using standard Windows or Macintosh microphones and speakers. Inside the vMentor virtual classroom, icons indicate who is in the class and who is speaking, sending a message, or using the whiteboard. To ask a question, students simply click on the "hand" icon. For more information on vMentor (including hours the virtual classroom is open), contact your Thomson representative.
- To provide flexibility for a wide variety of courses, the six parts of Starr and Taggart's Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, Tenth Edition are published separately so that they can be grouped to fit a variety of course needs. These brief and specialized texts include: Cell Biology and Genetics, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39745-X with CD and Infotrac, 0-534-39760-3 without CD and Infotrac); Diversity of Life, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39744-1); Ecology and Behavior, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39746-8); Evolution of Life, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39747-6); Animal Structure and Function, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39748-4); and Plant Structure and Function, Tenth Edition (ISBN: 0-534-39749-2).
- Real life applications--engage students and help them understand the relationships between key biological principles.
- The Multimedia Manager: A Microsoft® PowerPoint® Tool puts the text visuals to work during lecture. This full-featured presentation tool includes more than 2,000 text illustrations, plus more than 500 animations and interactions.
- Concept Spreads! All points necessary for developing an understanding of a basic concept are on one or two facing pages. This allows students to focus easily on one topic at a time and digest information in manageable segments.
- Interactive Concepts in Biology Student CD-ROM is extensively updated for this edition, with a new interface and almost 800 animations and interactions.
- The Application Integration Guide (AIG) makes it easy for you to find and use timely applications from the text, CNN Today videos clips, InfoTrac articles, and related Web sites.
- In addition to more than 1,000 in--text applications numerous applications are presented in chapter opening vignettes and Focus essays. These vignettes and essays show students how the science applies to real life.
- Critical thinking questions are included at the end of each chapter to test and reinforce material.
- A lively, engaging writing style conveys the central concepts and applications of biology succinctly and accurately.
- NEW! "Connections" essays allow students to see the interconnectedness between structure, function, and evolution. For example, the chapter on "Principles of Plants and Animals" helps students understand subsequent chapters, particularly the similarities and the differences between plants and animals.
- NEW! A new design within chapters highlights the "Connections" essays with a red vertical band at their edge. Students can more easily find and utilize this tool.
- NEW! CNN® video clips--294 in all--are now available digitally on CD across the three CNN®Today Series: Biology, Anatomy & Physiology/Human Biology, and Environmental Science.
- NEW! A free student Web site provides activities that encourage students to use the Connections essays to provide a deeper, more integrated understanding of biology.
- NEW! The kingdoms of organisms have been subsumed into the three-domain classification system. Revised chapters on protistans and vertebrates that illustrate the new 3-domain approach have received high praise from systematists and teachers.
- NEW! A new Chapter (28) provides a prelude to the units on anatomy and physiology. It points out that plants and animals are so different in their body plans that we sometimes forget how much they have in common. One of its "Connections" essays focuses on recurring challenges to the survival of individual cells and of the multicelled body.
- NEW! The concluding chapter (50) has been revised to invite reflection on how human activities are having a major impact on the biosphere, from the molecular composition of the atmosphere and ocean to the continuation of species and entire ecosystems.
- NEW! "Read-Me-First" diagrams and other visuals support the Connections theme in this edition. "Read-Me-First" diagrams condense even the most complex biological processes and offer simple introductions to the processes before more details are presented.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Biology : The Unity and Diversity of Life / With CD: