This edition has also been released as:
Summary: With an extraordinary reputation for authority and accuracy, this landmark biology text continues to be an invaluable learning partner for students and teachers. The authors focus on the "big ideas" of biology: each chapter is organized around key concepts that build in a logical way, and are clearly explained and reinforced by the text discussion and illustration. The straightforward writing style, appropriate level of depth, and judiciously-selected cover ...show moreage are other hallmarks. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 99
A comprehensive new supplements package includes instructor's presentation software, a Web-based classroom management system, a highly-interactive student learning CD-ROM, an instructor's guide to media, nearly all text art on acetates, and more. The Special Edition of The Biology Place allows students to explore animations, take quizzes, and access the most up-to-date biology resources on the web.
- Thoroughly updated content includes a new Chapter 11 on cell-to-cell communication, a new Chapter 21 on the genetic basis of development, and a new Chapter 55 on conservation biology.
- Icons incorporated throughout the text direct students to CD-ROM activities.
- Improved illustrations throughout the text work hand in hand with text discussions to help students visualize concepts.
- The student CD-ROM includes twice as many animations as the prior version, expanded interactivity, and an Internet gateway.
- A web-based classroom management system allows instructors to test on-line, access teaching resources, store grading information, communicate with students, and create a course web page.
- Unifying themes are introduced in Chapter 1 and revisited throughout the text. Evolution is stressed throughout as the core theme that applies to all biological concepts.
- The process of science is emphasized through chapter concepts, interviews, and Methods boxes.
- A cohesive pedagogical structure helps students tackle complex concepts. Topics are introduced with a panoramic view of what the overall process accomplishes, then followed with text and figures that invite students inside the process for a closer look.
- Chapter-specific web links direct students to relevant on-line sites.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Year Published: 1999
Other Editions of Biology / With CD-ROM: