Summary: By far the best-selling text in this market, AMERICA'S COURTS focuses on the dynamics of the court by introducing the concept of the ''courtroom work group'' and the relationship between the three main-actors judge, prosecutor, and defense attorney-thus illustrating the law in action, not just dry theory and facts. Neubauer also uses myriad pedagogical devices which bring the court process to life for students. This text has become a leader because of its comprehensi ...show moreveness, its focus on dynamics of the process, and its pedagogical features. This new edition is a radical revision, with many new topics, features, and supplements.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 99
- Unique emphasis on courthouse dynamics.
- NEW! New topics include military courts, juvenile justice, civil settlements, victim?s rights, drug courts, independent counsel, drunk driving, prosecution, jury nullifications, three strikes laws, rural justices, racial disparities in cocaine sentencing, and gender biases.
- NEW! WWW exercises appear in every chapter.
- NEW! Book endpapers feature Supreme Court and other court-related time lines.
- NEW! Case index appears at the end of the text for easy reference.
- Comprehensive, up-to-date coverage of court structure and process; conveys to the reader the sense of ''being in the courthouse.''
- Three types of boxes to enrich student learning: Close-Up, Controversy, and Case Focus.
- Author is a noted expert in the field.
- NEW! All new two-color design.
- NEW! Substantial revision to chapter organization with new chapters on Federal, State, and Lower Courts (Chapters 3, 4 and 18); also, new full chapter on Juvenile Courts (Chapter 19). Previous chapter on administration of courts (Chapter 19) has now been moved into Chapter 4.
- NEW! Book now incorporates three central themes which are illustrated through box categories: Law on the Books, Law in Action, Courts and Controversy.
- NEW! New pedagogy has been incorporated including opening vignettes (based on actual criminal cases), chapter outlines, chapter-ending critical thinking exercises, and marginal glossary.
- NEW! Numerous figures have been added to enhance student comprehension.
Publisher: West Publishing Co. (College)
Year Published: 1999
Other Editions of America's Courts and Criminal Justice System-Text Only: