Summary: Welcome to a new era of organizational behaviour! Virtual teams are replacing committees. Values and self-leadership are replacing command-and-control supervision. Knowledge is replacing infrastructure. Companies are looking for employees with emotional intelligence, not just technical smarts. Globalization has become the mantra of corporate survival.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Canadian Organizational Behaviour, Fifth Edition, is written in the context of these emerging workplace rea ...show morelities. This edition explains how emotions guide employee motivation, attitudes, and decisions; how values have become the new resource to shape workplace behaviour; and how a person's social identity relates to team dynamics, stereotyping, and organizational culture. This book also presents the new reality that organizational behaviour is not just for managers; it is relevant and useful to anyone who works in and around organizations.
- Reorganized Content This edition now begins with individual differences, including values, personality, perceptions, learning, emotions and attitudes. This edition adds a second chapter on teams and combines material on decision making and creativity.
- Emerging Concepts Workplace Justice (c. 5), Social Identity Theory (c. 3), Schwartz's Values Model (c. 2), Electronic Grapevine (c. 11), Aboriginal/First Nations Issues (c. 2, 3, 14), Trust (c. 4), Workplace Bullying (c. 7), Empowerment (c. 6), Virtual Teams (c. 9). Emotions are now integrated into several chapters, including work attitudes, motivation, decision making and conflict.
- Global Connections boxes: Steven McShane currently authors Canadian, US, and Pacific Rim Organizational Behaviour texts. True to his Canadian roots, he is contemporary and up to date with a true, global perspective on OB. McShane sees OB through a regional media lens, using many databases and sources for research. This is definitely the most global text on the market
- Ethics and corporate social responsibility are introduced in Chapter 1, and ethics receives thorough coverage in Chapter 2. Ethical issues are also highlighted in various chapters throughout the book.
- COB5 continues to emphasize critical thinking through photo caption questions, thought-provoking discussion questions, the ultimate critical thinking activities, and more cases than any other OB book in Canada.
- Keeping up with Change: The workplace is going through rapid changes, and COB5 has kept pace by bringing students emerging concepts and very recent incidents from Canada and around the planet. As a result, all opening vignettes and most photo stories have been replaced.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Ryerson
Year Published: 2004