Summary: For one/two-semester undergraduate courses in American Government.Edition/Copyright: 05
This concise paperback text introduces students to the basics of American government, structured around democracy as an ideal toward which we continually strive. Thematically organized, it prepares students to review events in the context of this goal. Cases and real-world examples reflect current trends and events. It prepares students to be good citizens, armed with the information they wi ...show morell need to follow politics and make educated choices about leaders, policies, and actions.
- Conciseness--About 1/3 shorter than its parent text.
- Provides a succinct, tightly woven narrative in an attractive, inexpensive "trade book" format.
- Completely updated--Includes Tom Ridge and the Homeland Security Council, the War on Terrorism and Anti-Terrorism Bill, Anthrax and the US Postal Service, Dick Cheney as the new VP, Census 2000, the Enron scandal, Military tribunals, Senator Jeffords party switch, the Supreme Court and the 2000 Presidential Election, 2002 Congressional elections, and much more.
- Helps students put concepts into current political context.
- Improved and streamlined coverage on "Public Policy and Politics" in Chapter 16--Combines Chapters 15 and 16 from the prior edition.
- Addresses the multiple processes of formulating, implementing, and evaluating public policy and the democratic ideal.
- Global trends and developments--Includes "Governments in the Islamic World" Ch. 1.
- Shows students the importance of global events in our country.
- Textspecific Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/berman--Contains a wealth of additional resources including chapter summaries, practice tests, and numerous activities.
- Increases students' understanding, directs them to additional related sites on the Web, and gives instructors a timesaving resource for managing their courses.
- PoliSim links at the end of every chapter.
- Integrates the text with PoliSim--multimedia simulations based on real data, designed for American Government.
- Political Science on the Internet relevant websites.
- Provides insight into political science issues, current issues and government sites. Now included at the end of each chapter.
- PoliSim V. 2.0 bound into every copy of the text.
- Provides students with stimulating interactive activities that reinforce concepts.
- Inexpensively priced.
- Allows instructors the flexibility to assign the text with outside readings.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Approaching Democracy : Portfolio Edition -Text Only: