Highly regarded and used by countless students, this effective rhetoric/handbook/reader is ideal for writing courses that focus on the essay. The sixth edition features Langan's renowned clear writing style and a wide range of writing assignments and activities that reinforce the four essentials of good writing: unity, support, coherence, and sentence skills.
College Writing Skills with Readings comes packaged with a free student CD-ROM, a free registration card for access to the Online Learning Center, and a free user's guide to help students gain the maximum benefit from the text and electronic materials.
New to This Edition :
- Full Color: The eye-catching new full-color design highlights key information for students, helping them make connections and find information easily.
- Visuals: One assignment in each of the patterns chapters is illustrated with a photograph, which is especially appealing for visual learners. In addition, photographs of the authors are now included for most of the readings in Part Five.
- Research: Expanded coverage of Internet research includes guidelines for using Google and for evaluating websites.
- Avoiding Plagiarism: Chapter 22 now offers "A Caution about Plagiarism" (in John Langan's inimitably honest and practical style), including an activity that asks students to identify acceptable and unacceptable paraphrases.
- Purpose and Audience: A new section in Chapter 1, new sections on purpose and audience in the introduction to each of the nine patterns, and special writing assignments titled "Writing for a Specific Audience and Purpose" reinforce the focus on addressing particular writing situations.
- New Readings: Five of the 30 readings included are new to this edition: "Taming the Anger Monster," by Anne Davidson; "Born to Be Different?" by Camille Lewis; "Three Passions," by Bertrand Russell; "A Legendary Moment," by Haven Kimmel; and "The Professor Is a Dropout," by Beth Johnson.
- Thesis Statements: Chapter 3 offers expanded coverage of common mistakes, with more examples of effective and ineffective thesis statements and four new practice activities.
- Integrated Media Support: Icons in the margins of the text let students and instructors know when more help is available in AllWrite! 2.1 (grammar support software available separately), on the Online Learning Center, on the student CD-ROM packaged free with the text, or in the new Virtual Workbook.
- Student CD-ROM and Online Learning Center: The College Writing Skills CD-ROM, packaged free with every copy of the sixth edition, offers interactive exercises; hundreds of diagnostic test items; writing prompts with textboxes for inputting and emailing copy; and visuals such as PowerPoint presentations and video clips. The Online Learning Center offers this material on the Internet.
- AllWrite! 2.1: Available separately or in a package with the text, AllWrite! 2.1 offers more than 3,000 exercises for additional practice in basic grammar, usage, punctuation, spelling, and techniques for effective writing.
- College Writing Skills Virtual Workbook: The virtual workbook offers brand-new activities that reinforce the skills that students learn in Part Four of College Writing Skills. This new online supplement is supported by a powerful array of Web-based instructor's tools, including an online gradebook and assessment, analysis, and classroom management tools.
- Track Record: Across the three levels of basic writing (sentence, paragraph, and essay) over 2,000,000 students, 11,300 instructors, and 3,125 colleges and universities have succeeded with John Langan's approach.
- The Four Bases: The essence of John Langan's approach is the focus on these four cornerstones that form the foundation of all good writing: Unity: seeing the whole as the sum of its parts; Support: the importance of evidence in writing; Coherence: the fundamentals of organization and transition; and Sentence Skills: the basic elements of the craft of writing. Each of the four bases serves as a goal for students as they plan, undertake, and revise their work.
- Reading Selections: The 30 concise reading selections included offer models of good writing as well as material for critique.
- Outstanding Ancillaries: The text's ancillary package includes an Online Learning Center, Instructor s Annotated Edition, and Student and Instructor CD-ROMs.
- The Langan Support Hotline: 1-800-MCGRAWH (800-624-7294) or firstname.lastname@example.org. Staffed from 8:00 to 4:30 pm CST, the Langan line offers expert answers to text queries and concerns, updates on the Langan Series, technology advice and support, and more.