Summary: Through fifty scholarly and popular readings, this anthology examines a broad range of topics, drawing from such various disciplines as communication, philosophy, social science, and psychology. The thought-provoking articles discuss the nature of interpersonal contact, connections between verbal and nonverbal cues, person perception and social intelligence, listening, identity management, interpersonal ethics, types of love, transformational conflict management, and ...show more diversity. The new ninth edition features 23 new readings, including new content related to the dark side of communication (power, deception, betrayal, and harassment). Edition/Copyright: 9TH 06
- Chapter 2 includes an updated definition of communication and interpersonal communication, and a new reading by John Stewart, "Communicating and Interpersonal Communicating."
- Chapter 6 includes updated treatment of "exhaling" or "expressing/disclosure," with an emphasis on expression as a defense against abuse. New readings include John Gottman's "Putting Feelings into Words" and Beverly Engel's "Confronting Abusive Relationships."
- New treatments of listening include Kay Lindahl's "What Is Listening?", Karen Kissel Wegela's "Being a Good Listener," and John Gottman's "Above All, Just Listen."
- Chapter 9 provides significantly enhanced treatment of interpersonal power, including several new readings: R. Greene's "The 48 Laws of Power," Bill Wilmot and Joyce Hocker's "Power: The Structure of Conflict," and a discussion of toxic power--Patricia Evans' "Children and Verbal Abuse."
- Chapter 12, "Promoting Dialogue," now clarifies the notion of dialogue and includes Sheila McNamee and Kenneth Gergen's "Relational Responsibility and Dialogue," William Isaacs' "Dialogue," and Rick Ross' "Skillful Discussion."
- Chapters 3 and 11 include expanded illustrations of intercultural communication, with readings by Pu Yee Beryl Tsang ("There's a White Man in My Bed: Scenes from an Interracial Marriage") and Richard Rodriguez ("Hispanic").
- Expanded coverage of communication with intimate partners includes long-distance relationships and relationships in cyberspace. New readings include Joyce Arditti and Melissa Kauffman's "Staying Close When Apart: Intimacy and Meaning in Long-Distance Dating Relationships" and Alvin Cooper and Leda Sportolari's "Romance in Cyberspace: Understanding Online Attraction."
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company