This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This brief edition of Applied Calculus comprises Chapters 1-7 of the complete text plus two sections on differential equations. Designed for the one- or two-semester applied or business calculus course, this text uses intriguing real-world applications to engage students' interest and show them the practical side of calculus. Many applications are financial or business related, but many applications in this text cover general-interest topics as well, including the gr ...show moreowing population of Africa, the composition of the Supreme Court, water shortage, the fastest pitch in baseball, and pollution and the depletion of natural resources.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 07
The Fourth Edition maintains the hallmark features that have made Brief Applied Calculus so popular: contemporary and interesting applications; careful and effective use of technology, including integrated calculator coverage that is optional; constant pedagogical reinforcement through section summaries, chapter summaries, carefully annotated examples, and extra practice problems; and a variety of exercises and assignment options including exercise sets, projects, and essays.
- Contemporary and Interesting Applications often use real, sourced data from a wide range of fields including: athletics, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, management science and business, personal finance and management, social and behavioral sciences, and topics of general interest. Real-world examples are identified by a globe icon.
- Optional Graphing Calculator Explorations and Exercises explore new topics, carry out otherwise messy calculations, or show the limitations and pitfalls of technology. To allow for optional use of the graphing calculator, the Calculator Explorations are boxed and exercises that require a graphing calculator are identified by icon.
- Spreadsheet Explorations are included in the first seven chapters of the text for those who prefer Excel or other spreadsheet technology. The spreadsheets referenced in the text can also be downloaded from the text's web site.
- Unique Section Summaries briefly state essential formulas and key concepts and help students prepare for tests and quizzes.
- Chapter Summary with Hints and Suggestions review key concepts of a chapter with references to specific review exercises. This feature is included at the end of each chapter. The Hints and Suggestions features unify the concepts of the chapter, give specific reminders, and reference problems in the review exercises suitable for a practice test.
- Extra Practice Problems are provided after selected worked-out examples, where students can use a little extra practice. Students are given the full solution to these problems at the end of the section.
- Exercise sets provide numerous assignment options for instructors, allowing them to customize homework to their course and student population. The exercise set begins with basic practice and increases in difficulty. Application exercises are clearly labeled with general and specific titles to make it easier for instructors to select relevant exercises for assignments.
- New! Conceptual Exercises and Explorations and Excursions have been added at reviewers' requests, to offer a more rounded view into the student's understanding of a topic. The Conceptual Exercises will encourage students to think 'outside the box,' expanding on and examining, their grasp of the mathematics behind the drill and application exercises. The underlying concepts of calculus become the focus.
- Projects and Essays are now included on the textbook website and CD-ROM to provide opportunities for collaborative work, as well as critical thinking and writing exercises.
- Cumulative Review Exercises at the end of selected chapters give students an easy way to review and reinforce previously learned concepts and skills.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Brief Applied Calculus: