Summary: Designed specifically for business, economics, or life/social sciences majors, Brief Calculus: An Applied Approach, 8/e, motivates students while fostering understanding and mastery. This brief text emphasizes integrated and engaging applications that show students the real-world relevance of topics and concepts. Several pedagogical features--from algebra review to study tips--provide extra guidance and practice.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 09
The Eighth Edition builds upon its applicati ...show moreons emphasis through updated exercises and relevant examples. Applied problems drawn from government sources, industry, current events, and other disciplines provide well-rounded examples and appeal to diverse interests. In addition, the Brief Calculus program offers a strong support package--including HM MathSPACE Instructor/Student websites and course management tools, instructional DVDs, and solutions manuals--that allows students to review the material independently and retain key concepts.
- New! HM MathSPACE encompasses the interactive online products and services integrated with Houghton Mifflin mathematics programs. Ready-to-use content can be accessed through text-specific Student and Instructor Websites and via course management systems. For optimal instruction and learning, HM MathSPACE Homework Powered by WebAssign allows instructors to create assignments from a database of algorithmic questions based on end-of-section exercises.
- New! Make a Decision multi-step exercises reinforce students' problem-solving skills by taking real-life applications further, testing what students know about a given problem and prompting them to make decisions within the context of that problem.
- New! Non-computational Concept Check questions appear at the end of each section, allowing students to pause and check their understanding of the concepts covered in that section.
- New! Appearing in the middle of each chapter, Mid-Chapter Quizzes are single-page tests that let students practice skills and concepts learned in the chapter. This opportunity for self-assessment helps uncover potential weaknesses that might require further review of the material.
- Revised! Section-ending Business Capsules and accompanying exercises address business situations related to the mathematical concepts covered in the chapter.
- Revised! At the beginning of each exercise set, Skills Review exercises help students practice those skills covered in previous sections; answers are provided at the back of the text to reinforce understanding.
- Updated! Exercise Sets offer opportunities for practice and review. Approximately 6,000 exercises progress from skill-development problems to more challenging, real-world applications--all of which can be customized to the difficulty level of the instructor's choice.
- A wide variety of relevant examples--each of which is titled for easy reference--include solutions presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts. Examples that illustrate real-life situations are identified with an icon.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2008
Other Editions of Brief Calculus Applied Approach: