Summary: This is the first text to combine both paleontology and paleobiology. Traditional textbooks treat these separately, despite the recent trend to combine them in teaching. It bridges the gap between purely theoretical paleobiology and purely descriptive invertebrate paleontology books. The text is targeted at undergraduate geology and biology majors, with the emphasis on organisms, rather than dead objects to be described and catalogued. Current ideas from modern biolo ...show moregy, ecology, population genetics, and many other concepts will be applied to the study of the fossil record. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
New to This Edition :
- Covers both invertebrates and vertebrates at a level appropriate to geology and biology majors. Bringing Fossils to Life focuses on the ideas that make paleontology exciting, while giving a balanced coverage to both the invertebrates and vertebrates at a level of detail appropriate to general geology majors.
- The most up-to-date text on the market in key topics such as systematics, molecular phylogeny, isotopic paleobiology, evolution and extinction, and many other new ideas in paleobiology and macroevolution.
- Brand new chapter on paleobotany (chapter 19) entitled "Traces of the Earth's Green Mantle."
- New material on Permo-Traissic Extinctions in Chapter 6.
- New Material on recent hypothesis on Lewy in Chapter 15.
- Unique Combined Approach: This text is the first to go beyond a superficial overview of paleobiology topics in a paleontology textbook. It is written for the general geology or biology majors who take paleontology for fun or as part of their requirements, not as an encyclopedia for professionals.
- Accessible Level and Style: This book is written at a level that will not intimidate students with limited backgrounds in geology and biology. Don Prothero has deliberately reduced the excessive memorization of taxa and anatomy to a bare minimum of terms that are essential in talking about each group.
- Well-Known Author: Don Prothero is a young, successful author who brings great energy to all of his writing projects. In 1991 he received the Schuchert Award of the Paleontological Society for the "Outstanding Paleontologist Under the Age of 40".
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Bringing Fossils To Life : An Introduction To Paleobiology: