Summary: Carefully developed for one-year courses that combine and integrate material from Precalculus through Calculus I, this text is ideal for instructors who wish to successfully bring students up to speed algebraically within precalculus and transition them into calculus. The Larson Calculus texts continue to offer instructors and students new and innovative teaching and learning resources. The Calculus series was the first to use computer-generated graphics (Third Editi ...show moreon), to include exercises involving the use of computers and graphing calculators (Fourth Edition), to be available in an interactive CD-ROM format (Fifth Edition), to be offered as a complete, online calculus course (Sixth Edition), and to offer this two-semester Calculus I with Precalculus text. Every edition of the book has made the mastery of traditional calculus skills a priority, while embracing the best features of new technology and, when appropriate, calculus reform ideas. Now, the Eighth Edition is the first calculus program to offer algorithmic homework and testing created in Maple so that answers can be evaluated with complete mathematical accuracy.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 06
Two primary objectives guided the authors in writing this book: to develop precise, readable materials for students that clearly define and demonstrate concepts and rules of calculus; and to design comprehensive teaching resources for instructors that employ proven pedagogical techniques and saves the instructor time. The Eighth Edition continues to provide an evolving range of conceptual, technological, and creative tools that enable instructors to teach the way they want to teach and students to learn they way they learn best. The Larson program offers a variety of options to address the needs of any calculus course and any level of calculus student, enabling the greatest number of students to succeed.
- The explanations, theorems, and definitions have been thoroughly and critically reviewed. When necessary, changes have been made to ensure that the text is pedagogically sound, mathematically precise, and comprehensible.
- The exercise sets have been carefully and extensively examined to ensure they cover all calculus topics appropriately. Many new exercises have been added at the suggestion of a number of calculus instructors.
- A variety of exercise types are included in each exercise set. Questions involving skills, writing, critical thinking, problem-solving, applications, and real-data applications are included throughout the text. Exercises are presented in a variety of question formats, including matching, free response, true/false, modeling, and fill-in the blank.
- The Eduspace online resources have been integrated into a comprehensive learning system that combines numerous dynamic calculus resources with online homework and testing materials.
- The Integrated Learning System addresses the changing needs of today's instructors and students. Recognizing that the calculus course is presented in a variety of teaching and learning environments, the program resources are available in print, CD-ROM, and online formats.
- Eduspace, powered by Blackboard provides instructors with online courses and content in multiple disciplines. By pairing the widely recognized tools of Blackboard with quality, text-specific content from Houghton Mifflin (HMCo), Eduspace makes it easy for instructors to create all or part of a course online. Homework exercises, quizzes, tests, tutorials, and supplemental study materials all come ready-to-use. Instructors can choose to use the content as is, modify it, or even add their own. Eduspace with eSolutions combines all the features of Eduspace with an electronic version of the textbook exercises and the complete solutions to the odd-numbered text exercises, providing students with a convenient and comprehensive way to do homework and view the course materials.
- SMARTHINKING online tutoring brings students real-time, online tutorial support when they need it most.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Calculus I -With Precalculus, One Year Course: