Summary: Berresford's lively approach to calculus, now available for a one- or two-term course in applied calculus and finite mathematics, is designed to enrich learning for students majoring in business, economics, life sciences, and social sciences. The text's engaging approach shows students how to use calculus to predict the national debt, to study global warming, to maximize longevity, to analyze trends in the AIDS epidemic, to estimate the dangers of cigarette smoking, ...show moreand in countless other relevant applications. A wealth of exercise sets providing numerous additional applications helps demonstrate for students that calculus is more than merely manipulating abstract symbols, but rather is deeply connected to everyday life. Edition/Copyright: 99
- The text provides more graphing calculator examples and exercises than any other book; these may be omitted without loss of continuity, making use of a graphing calculator an optional tool for exploration.
- Numerous applications of high interest to students cover a wide range of subjects, from sports to genetic engineering, spread of disease, gambling, personal wealth, and environmental issues, to name a few.
- Unique to Berresford's texts, interactive "Practice Problems" with full solutions are offered after more difficult worked-out examples to provide students with extra practice and immediate feedback on their understanding of complex concepts.
- Seven to ten extensive writing and/or collaborative exercises conclude each chapter.
- Margin annotations restate much of the mathematics in words and provide explanations for the steps of a solution.
- End-of-section summaries, in addition to more comprehensive end-of-chapter summaries, help students retain concepts as they progress through the text.
- Instructors may select applications at a glance from the Application Index at the front of the text.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Calculus With Finite Mathematics: