Summary: These extremely readable, highly regarded, and widely adopted texts present innovative ways for applying calculus to real-world situations in the business, economics, life science, and social science disciplines. The texts' straightforward, engaging approach fosters the growth of both the student's mathematical maturity and his/her appreciation for the usefulness of mathematics. The authors' tried and true formula -- pairing substantial amounts of graphical analysis ...show moreand informal geometric proofs with an abundance of hands-on exercises -- has proven to be tremendously successful with both students and instructors. Edition/Copyright: 10TH 04
- NEW -- With contributions from Nahkle Asmar, University of Missouri, Columbia.
- NEW -- Additional and Revised Exercises.
- Over 400 new and revised exercises include problems that challenge the more capable students and problems designed to aid students with limited math background.
- New genre of problems tests the students' understanding of mathematical formulas.
- Increased number of problems that stress the ability to read graphs.
- Many new applications from business, medicine, life and social sciences -- based on current real-world data.
- Over 90 new problems on differential equations and their applications.
- NEW -- Additional and Revised Art -- Over 80 new and revised graphs have been added.
- Enhances examples and exercises.
- NEW -- Revision of Sections.
- Section 2.6 topics have been reordered and a detailed example and figures were added to allow an easier access to the inventory control problem from business.
- Worked examples and figures were added to Section 5.3 to provide clearer and more accessible discussion of the topic of elasticity of demand from economics.
- The topics of Section 7.6 on nonlinear regression have been reordered. The Pareto distribution is used as an example of a power regression function to model the distribution of income of the US male population in 2001. Results from this section are compared to actual statistical data.
- Section 10.1 has been expanded to include the topic of slope fields and the geometric interpretation of a differential equation. Using graphs to study solutions of differential equations and their real-life applications is emphasized.
- NEW -- Two new sections on differential equations.
- Section 10.3 contains several worked examples and figures that provide a smooth and accessible study of the technique of integrating factor for solving first order linear differential equations.
- Section 10.4 presents exciting real-life applications, including investment accounts, paying off car loans, home mortgages, Newton's law of cooling, population models with migration and many problems from medicine.
- Carefully designed exercise sets.
- Challenges students to make their own connections.
- Practice Problems.
- Motivates students with supported tasks.
- Self-Contained Material.
- Allows students with limited math knowledge to access information.
- Real-life applications/scenarios.
- Demonstrates to students the relevance of their studies.
- Easy-to-understand instructions for using calculators are provided.
- Eliminates the need for a manual.
- Provides more help available on the website.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Calculus and Its Applications: