Summary: In the Fifth Edition of Applied Calculus for the Managerial, Life, and Social Sciences, author Soo Tan builds on the features that have made his books market leaders-a real-life, problem-solving approach coupled with a concise writing style, a wealth of interesting and illustrative applications to help readers understand the material, and technology coverage that is integrated, but optional, throughout the book. Tan is well known for his ability to present quantitati ...show moreve techniques in an intuitive and accessible yet accurate manner.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 00
- More real-life examples are used to motivate mathematical results.
- Applications in the areas of business, economics, behavioral, life, physical, and social sciences make the subject come to life for students.
- Remarks and Portfolio sections provide students with more detailed applications of the topics.
- Self-check exercises in every section, with solutions, help students monitor their own progress.
- Group Discussion Questions require extended thinking from students, giving them a chance to confirm their understanding of the material.
- Exploring with Technology questions appear throughout the text in special boxes that make it easy for instructors to incorporate technology however they wish.
- Using Technology sections use the graphing utility whenever many calculations are needed. These sections include current, relevant applications whenever possible.
- Web site includes study hints, review material, practice tests, and instructions for using other technology.
- Many new applications have been added, for example: the growth in use of e-mails, out of pocket health care costs for senior citizens, strength of a reaction to a drug, growth of on-line shopping, spread of HIV.
- More group discussion questions have been added.
- More Using Technology sections and exercises have been added.
- The section on mathematical modeling has been expanded and strengthened.
- There are additional exercises that emphasize the understanding of concept and theory, and questions requiring the interpretation of graphs.
- There is a new section on Double Integrals.
- New supplements include: an enhanced web site, a graphing calculator manual, and a standalone Microsoft® Excel Manual.
- Instructions for the TI-83 and TI-86 have been added to the web site.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.