This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Designed for the first two semesters of a three-semester engineering calculus course, Calculus of a Single Variable: Early Transcendental Functions, 4/e, continues to offer instructors and students innovative teaching and learning resources. Two primary objectives guided the authors in the revision of this book: to develop precise, readable materials for students that clearly define and demonstrate concepts and rules of calculus; and to design comprehensive teaching ...show moreresources for instructors that employ proven pedagogical techniques and save time. The Larson/Hostetler/Edwards Calculus program offers a solution to address the needs of any calculus course and any level of calculus student.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 07
Calculus of a Single Variable: Early Transcendental Functions, 4/e, contains Chapters 1-10 of the full Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions, 4/e, text.
Every edition from the first to the fourth of Calculus: Early Transcendental Function, 4/e, has made the mastery of traditional calculus skills a priority, while embracing the best features of new technology and, when appropriate, calculus reform ideas. Now, the Fourth Edition is part of the first calculus program to offer algorithmic homework and testing created in Maple so that answers can be evaluated with complete mathematical accuracy.
- Exercise sets have been carefully examined and revised to ensure they cover all calculus topics appropriately. Many new exercises have been added.
- A variety of exercise types are included in each exercise set. Questions involving skills, writing, critical thinking, problem-solving, applications, and real-data applications are included throughout the text. Exercises are presented in a variety of question formats, including matching, free response, true/false, modeling, and fill-in the blank.
- Putnam Exam Questions--taken from the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition--offer challenging problems that often require students to look for creative solutions; Graphical Analysis exercises offer the opportunity to analyze graphs; Think About It exercises require students to use critical reasoning skills to explore the intricacies of calculus.
- Explanations, theorems, and definitions in the text have been thoroughly reviewed to ensure the text is mathematically precise and easily comprehensible.
- Clear, multi-step examples with worked-out solutions help students learn difficult mathematical concepts. Examples correspond to the exercises, serving as a supportive reference for students. This is the only text on the market where every example, proof, and explanation begins and ends on the same page.
- Explorations help students develop their intuitive understanding of calculus concepts. These optional activities are short enough to integrate into class, but they can also be omitted without loss of continuity.
- Theorem boxes clearly explain important mathematical concepts.
- The Integrated Learning System resources are available in print, CD-ROM, and online formats.
- Eduspace, powered by Blackboard, Houghton Mifflin's online learning tool, offers your students quality online homework, tutorials, multimedia, and testing that correspond to the Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions text. This content is paired with the course management tools of Blackboard. In addition, eSolutions, the complete solutions to the odd-numbered text exercises, provides students with a convenient and comprehensive way to do homework and view the course materials.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Calculus of a Single Variable : Early Transcendental Functions: