Summary: This highly successful book has been called the most comprehensive text on the market, providing students with needed career theory as well as practical techniques and examples. Through the author's clear writing style, case examples, tables, and exercises, students develop a solid understanding of the theoretical models of career counseling and are thoroughly exposed to the practical information on how to effectively counsel clients about career issues. As demonstra ...show moreted by the text's new subtitle, 'A Holistic Approach,' this substantially revised Seventh Edition reflects the growing emphasis on looking at the "whole person"--values, temperament, talents, and passions--to determine his or her best career fit. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 06
New to the Edition
- As demonstrated by the text's new subtitle, 'A Holistic Approach,' this substantially revised Seventh Edition reflects the growing emphasis on looking at the "whole person"--values, temperament, talents, and passions--to determine his or her best career fit.
- Chapter 4, "Managing Sets of Needs," introduces a holistic approach to career counseling while focusing on how to manage the fusion of the client's career and personal concerns.
- In this new edition, theories are grouped together into four categories, demonstrating how each group of theories has provided the foundation for the practice of career development. By means of a chapter-ending case example, Zunker places more emphasis on the practical application of theories.
- Chapter 9 introduces ethical procedures in career counseling, including boundaries of ethical concerns as well as examples of violations.
- Chapter 1, "Historical Development and Some Basic Issues," contains a chronological historical development of career counseling and some basic issues to be addressed in the 21st century.
- New Chapter 11 on gender issues in career counseling replaces two chapters that were devoted to issues of men and women in the prior edition. This new chapter takes the position that more emphasis should be placed on shared work roles in the new millennium.
- National career development competencies and suggestions for developing career-related programs with community support are highlighted in the new chapter (15) on elementary school counseling.
- A discussion of computer-based career guidance programs and a variety of technological driven learning platforms are presented in Chapter 8.
- Chapter 18 takes an inclusive view of the work role, underscoring the position that work has in our lives. It also emphasizes the need for counselors to build an understanding of how work will change, and suggests that, in order to serve their community most effectively, counselors will need to direct additional attention toward the needs of adults in transition.
- Appendix A contains summaries of all career development theories covered in the text.
- Zunker outlines and illustrates counseling models clearly, helping students fully understand the various theories of career counseling and showing them how to effectively use them when dealing with clients.
- The text covers career guidance over the life span, including career guidance for school age children, college students, and adults in career transition.
- To make students' study and preparation for the licensing examination easier, the text includes tables that summarize theories of career development and counseling models.
- Diversity coverage appears throughout the text in "Diversity Issues" sections that highlight pertinent research. Zunker also addresses diversity matters in five chapters dedicated to career counseling for special populations.
- Each chapter contains cases, an end-of-chapter summary, references, and learning exercises.
- Numerous charts, bulleted/numbered lists, dialogues, agency addresses, and lists of competencies and strategies help make the material accessible and practical.
- A companion text, USING ASSESSMENT RESULTS FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT, Seventh Edition, written by Debra S. Osborn and Vernon Zunker, illustrates how assessment results can increase the self-awareness needed to make rational choices.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006