Summary: A casebook for courses in Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology, and Social Work.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
The authors believe that prospective counselors must learn from the experience of practicing counselors. This enjoyable-to-read, inexpensive casebook offers nineteen live marriage and family therapy case studies that exemplify the major approaches taken to marriage and family counseling. The nineteen contributors provide real-life data about their counseling sess ...show moreions, their decision-making process, their personal feelings, and even their mistakes. It is telling that the contributing authors have provided the case that touched them most, not their most successful case.
- NEW - Three new contributors/cases bring unique new scenarios to the text--Albert Valadez' case is noteworthy for its use of metaphor, Montserrat Casado tells the story of an immigrant family, and Bibiana Gutierrez introduces a lesbian relationship.
- Capture students' attention with up-to-the-minute challenges that truly reflect today's family and marriage situations--showcase the diversity of therapy clients and help students understand the vast spectrum of problems families and couples face.
- A common organization for each case study (Editor's Commentary, Conceptualization, Process, Outcome, and Discussion)--Introducing the problem; the diagnosis, goals, and strategies; session-by-session accounts; results; and a "post-mortem."
- Facilitates comparison between situations, clients, and therapy approach--gives students enough detail for them to feel they've had a "personal encounter" with both the therapist and the clients.
- A Summary of Cases chart at the beginning of the text--Categorizes cases by the Patients/Presenting Problem, Systemic Foci, and Featured Strategies.
- Showcases the major aspects of each case--helps students identify the "heart" of each case, facilitates review at exam time as well as referencing once students are "in the field."
- A truly topical blend of subject matter--With situations involving an Internet "love affair," the loss of a loved one, parent-child conflicts, non-traditional relationships, ethnic issues, etc.
- Highlights the relevance of marriage and family therapy to "what's happening" in today's world--helps students prepare for the types of challenges they will face in their own practices, and their lives.
Publisher: Merrill Education/Prentice Hall
Other Editions of Case Studies In Marriage And Family Therapy: