Summary: For courses in children's literature. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
Coverage is based on Louise Rosenblatt's transactional theory of reader response, and organized around five main "celebrations" that the author uses as a framework for uniting the findings of reader-response theory with quality children's literature and exemplary reflective, literature-based practice. Reinforced by teachers' experiences in actual classrooms, this text provides a wealth of ideas for projects, ...show morereadings, and response-based activities that will engage all learners in the joy of reading and responding to literature. It blends an appreciation of children's books across all genres with an emphasis on meaningful instructional strategies for literacy programs. Features :
- NEW - Authentic Voices of Response--Introducing each chapter.
- Invite readers to "see" chapter content through the experiences of others--help future teachers better understand the power of reader-response in constructing meaning and assessing value.
- NEW - Links to IRA/NCTE Standards for the English Language Arts--At the start of each text section.
- Align text-sanctioned, reader-response strategies with national standards--ensure prospective teachers the ability to meet, or exceed, current expectations of the language-arts/literature classroom.
- NEW - More than 1000 new titles--Reflecting the latest quality offerings in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, biography, and picture books.
- Familiarize future teachers with the literature that's aimed at today's young readers--provide a basis for creating their own literature list for their own first classrooms.
- NEW - Expanded chapter on multicultural/international literature--Including numerous examples of children's literature written and published in other countries.
- Illustrates the universality of themes in children's literature--provides a basis for establishing a library of literature that expresses the totality of children's experiences and speaks to children from all cultures and backgrounds.
- NEW - Book Clusters--Extended bibliographies interspersed throughout the material.
- Provide a significant resource for generating reading lists--makes creating genre studies, author studies, or response-based activities easier.
- NEW - Text-specific companion website that includes Essays, Prompts and Activities in test module and relevant web links--Includes a list of relevant, author-approved websites.
- Links readers with dependable sources of information on children's literature, reader-response research, and more--highlights connections between literature and current technology.
- Inclusion of Louise Rosenblatt's transactional theory of reader response--As the basis for coverage.
- Offers readers an optimal instructional method for using literature with all children--equips them to assess and adapt emerging literature and literacy strategies as they encounter them.
- Extensive coverage of reader responses to literature--Oral and written responses, as well as those made through the visual arts.
- Introduces future teaches to the full range of children's responses to literature--encourages the use of a variety of strategies to elicit authentic, heartfelt, meaningful responses from pupils.
- An appendix on children's literature awards.
- Highlights exemplary children's literature across all genres--focuses students' attention on established standards and offers guidance for choosing literature that meets such standards.
Publisher: Merrill Education/Prentice Hall
Other Editions of Celebration Of Literature And Response : Children, Books, And Teachers In K-8 Classrooms: