Summary: This best-selling text, now in its Ninth Edition, makes chemistry exciting to students by showing them why important concepts are relevant to their lives and future careers. Timberlake's Guide to Problem Solving, visual solution pathways, new InterAct Math web problems, Visualizing the Chemistry questions, and a host of media tools enhance the new edition. It also retains the many features that have made the book so successful: a clear and friendly writing style, a m ...show moreodernized design, Career Focus features, macro-to-micro art work, modern applications and pedagogical tools, and extensive media resources. The book is most suited to the one-semester allied health sequence.Edition/Copyright: 9TH 06
New To This Edition
- The accessible writing style is based on a carefully paced and simple development of chemical concepts. Chemical terms are given precise definitions and clear goals are set for each section of the text.
- Sample Problems with Study Checks help students read, recognize, set up, and solve numerous problem types, while developing critical thinking skills and building confidence before moving on to other topics.
- Concepts Maps, now found at the end of each chapter, give students a big picture overview of concepts and how they connect to each other.
- Questions and Problems follow each section for immediate reinforcement of concepts just discussed.
- An integrated, step-by-step learning program breaks down concepts into easy-to-follow steps and emphasizes sample problems, study checks, and reviews.
- Health and Environmental Notes throughout the text highlight topics that are relevant to students' lives, and are ideal for classroom discussion.
- Explore Your World hands-on activities in each chapter make chemistry exciting, relevant, and non-threatening to students.
- Career Focus chapter openers and features contain photos and interviews with health care professionals to show students how chemistry is used in allied health careers.
- Questions paired with figures challenge students to think critically about the photos and illustrations.
- Timberlake's Guide to Problem Solving provides students with the mental maps they need to master important quantitative problem types.
- Visual solution pathways give students color blocks to help them follow the logical structure to the problem solutions.
- A media grid in the front of the book helps students correlate the media resources with the book's content.
- Understanding the Concept questions have been added to the end of each chapter to test students' understanding of the basic ideas of chemistry rather than just the math facility in working quantitative problems.
- Teamwork questions help instructors establish a collaborative learning environment in the classroom.
- Applied, ''Chemistry at Work'' problems are highlighted in the end-of-chapter problem sets.
- InterAct Math exercises are included on the website to provide students with the tools they need to grasp the math aspect of problems in the book.
- Pre-lab exercises on the website give instructors the opportunity to quiz students on their readiness to enter the lab.
- PowerPoint Lecture Outlines and Research Navigator are available on the website to assist in overall student learning.
- Visualizing the Chemistry questions test the student on the understanding of each chapter's major chemical ideas.
- Problems for Teamwork serve as a resource for collaborative class work.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Chemistry : Introduction to General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry- With CD: