This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Berns' best-selling text presents the socialization process of children via the powerful conceptual framework of Urie Bronfenbrenner's Ecological Model of Human Development. She takes a comprehensive look at the effects of family, child care, school, peer group, media, community, and societal factors (including culture, political ideology, economics, technology) on the socialization of the child, and provides students with numerous examples of essential concepts to e ...show morenable better understanding. Truly ideal for undergraduate students and anyone who works with children, CHILD, FAMILY, SCHOOL, COMMUNITY SOCIALIZATION AND SUPPORT underscores the immeasurable value in preparing the child with the ability to adapt to a changing world.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 07
New to the Edition
- Because socialization has always occurred via storytelling, each chapter opens with a folktale, related to the chapter topic, many of which have variations in different cultures. Critical thinking questions that follow the folktale motivate reader interest in the chapter.
- This edition has been organized to better reflect Urie Bronfenbrenner's Ecological Model of Human Development, which illustrates how various aspects of a child's environment interact with and affect the child, as well as how children affect their own environments.
- The Seventh Edition features a stronger emphasis on the application of the ecological model in social support service fields, especially teaching and social work.
- Many new topics have been infused throughout the text, including the 'No Child Left Behind' Act (chapter 6), reauthorization of the IDEA, conflicts between home and societal cultures (chapter 7), 'mean girls' and bullying boys (chapter 8), and hip hop culture (chapter 9).
- Design enhancements--such as a new two-color layout, a marginal glossary, and heading titles in the form of questions--make it easier for students to navigate the chapter and identify important concepts.
- Question headings introduce major sections of the chapter to prepare the reader for the text that follows.
- Berns has simplified details, without sacrificing scholarly integrity, to be more congruent with the changing profile of today's college students.
- Thought-provoking boxes at the beginning of each chapter encourage the student to critically compare current issues with those discussed in the chapter.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc