Summary: For Child Development courses in Psychology, Education, Human Development, Child and Family Studies, Topical Organization, and Early Childhood Education.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
Written by a well-known and respected researcher in the field of child development, this topically organized text uses unique and effective pedagogy as the scaffolding for the entire text. Everything from the level of writing, to the use of modules and the special application features such as Focus on Rese ...show morearch, Real Children feature, Cultural Influences feature and Child Development and Family Policy feature, are all designed to demonstrate how research translates into practice. Kail integrates the field by presenting four fundamental themes in child development research. These themes are used throughout the book to provide students with a foundation for understanding developmental psychology. Also, Kail introduces research methods in Chapter 2, and revisits methods again in every chapter.
- NEW--Observations in Child Development CD-ROM--Brings to life more than 30 key concepts discussed in the narrative of the text.
- Students get to view each video twice: once with an introduction to the concept being illustrated and again with commentary describing what is taking place at crucial points in the video. Students are then quizzed to test their understanding of what they just watched. Whether your course has an observation component or not, this CD-ROM provides your students the opportunity to see children in action. Each video is also available for use in your lectures on an Instructor's CD-ROM.
- NEW--Chapter Organization in Chapter 2--Focuses entirely on research methods.
- Provides students with a full introduction to research methods.
- NEW--Updated topics--e.g., Adoption, meta-analysis, microgenetic studies, community influences, motor development after infancy, overlapping waves theory, conflict resolution and historical change in IQ.
- Provides students with the latest findings on current topics in the field
- NEW--Unifying Themes features--Reviews the material covered in the chapters, and connect ideas to major developmental themes.
- Students see the continuity of ideas across the field.
- NEW--Child Development and Family Policy features.
- Shows students how research has influenced policy toward families and children.
- Emphasis on Major Developmental Psychology Themes features--Used to integrate the field, four major themes are presented in Chapter 1, and incorporated throughout the text.
- Provides students with a way to integrate and understand the theories and facts presented across the text.
- Focus on Research features--Research methods are introduced in Chapter 2, and covered in every chapter in this feature. Students get to see the details of important studies, and how researchers go about conducting research.
- Gives students a thorough introduction to research methods to allow them to become informed consumers of developmental psychology research.
- Improving Children's Lives features.
- Shows students how research and theory can be applied to improve children's development.
- Cultural Influences features.
- Show students the influence of culture on children and illustrates the diversity of developmental journeys.
- Real Children features.
- Provides students with a case study illustrating an issue in child development through the life of a real child.
- Modular Chapter Format with consistent learning tools--Each module opens with learning objectives and a high interest vignette, and ends with review and critical thinking questions.
- Provides students with tools to organize and retain what they are learning.
- Concept Summary boxes--On nearly half of the text pages.
- Provides students with easy-to-understand and study presentation.
- Extensive End of Chapter Material--Unifying Themes recaps each module and links chapter concepts to a major developmental theme; See For Yourself activities encourage students to observe children first hand; Summary organized by module recap the key material covered.
- Provides students with extensive tools that help them master each chapter's content.
- Hundreds of citations--From current research on molecular genetics, Back To Sleep SIDS Campaign, sexual orientation, bulimia, brain plasticity, social intelligence, etc.
- Introduces students to the latest research in child development today.
- Integrated artwork, photographs and tables.
- Provides students with great integration and understanding of narrative and visuals.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Children and Their Development - With CD: