Summary: For Introduction to Children's Literature courses. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
Based on the assumption that a children's literature course should focus on children's literature, this compact, conversationally-written text offers an overview of children's literature genres, guidelines for using children's books with a diverse population of young readers. Each genre chapter includes four book lists including: 1) the authors' ten favorite titles; 2) the authors' "second choices&quo ...show moret; ; 3) ten easier-to-read titles ideal for struggling readers; and 4) ten picture books, many of which are appropriate for readers in upper elementary grades. An interactive CD database included in the book lists more than 15,000 titles searchable by author, title, illustrator, publisher, copyright, grade level, genre, topics, description, awards, or user comments.
- NEW--Thorough updating of the CD-ROM listing of over 15,000 titles--With the capacity to add titles and comments and create, save, and print personal book lists.
- Provides an exceptional resource for choosing literature in every genre, for every age group--allows future teachers to create their own "library" of children's book titles personalized to their taste, teaching philosophy, and pupil population.
- Encourages future teachers to begin their classroom libraries.
- The authors' Top Ten List--With annotations that provide a brief summary of each title's content.
- Highlights ten titles of proven interest to young readers--helps novice teachers learn what to look for in quality children's literature and gives them confidence in their use of these "favorites."
- Succinct discussions and a conversational tone--Throughout the text.
- Focuses students' attention on the children's books themselves--provides the background future teachers need in a targeted format that's "to-the-point," yet comprehensive.
- Helpful appendices--Exploring magazines, audiovisuals, awards, and more.
- Provides additional resources for engaging children in all media--broadens future teachers' notions of what "children's literature" can encompass.
Publisher: Merrill Education/Prentice Hall
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of Children's Literature, Briefly - With CD: