Summary: Chinese Link: Zhongwen Tiandi Traditional Character Version is a dynamic, learner-centered textbook for beginning students of modern Chinese. Its communicative focus helps students develop their competencies in the four basic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing the Chinese language and allows for practice through an abundance of in-text activities. In addition a strong cultural component is provided in the end of chapter Chinese Link section, giving ...show morethe learner exposure to Chinese culture and opportunities to explore further through different activity types. In addition, each version of the text presents vocabulary in both the traditional and simplified versions giving the learner exposure to both character types. Edition/Copyright: 06
- Twenty-two lessons.
- Enables instructors to complete the text in one academic year.
- Clear and systematic introduction and explanation of grammar points.
- Relates grammar points to communicative task-oriented content without overwhelming students and without excessive linguistic jargon.
- Differences in usage between mainland China and Taiwan are consistently identified.
- Clears up any potential confusion students may experience.
- Current words, such as "internet", "cell phone," etc., are included.
- Provides students with truly modern Chinese vocabulary.
- Vivid and eye-catching photographs and drawings are included.
- Provides visual cues to aid in communicative exercises and activities.
- Students are instructed to build from words to phrases to sentences and beyond to communicative tasks involving description and discourse.
- Builds students' confidence by gradually building vocabulary.
- "Foundations" unit provides students with valuable information including an Introduction to Chinese language; an introduction to Pinyin; basic introduction to Chinese characters; an introduction to the most useful and common phrases encountered in the Chinese language; abbreviations of parts of speech; and a map of China.
- Provides students with a helpful ''starter'' to the text.
- Pronunciation exercises are integrated throughout the entire text.
- Helps students master expression and pronunciation of Chinese language.
- Interesting cultural notes are included in each lesson and supplemented with authentic photographs from China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.
- ''Takes'' students to China and helps them experience the Chinese culture.
- In-class exercises-including listening exercises, character exercises, grammar exercises and communicative activities are included in the main text.
- Provides exercises so that instructors will not need to create their own.
- Each Core Lesson includes objectives, lesson photos, vocabulary, sentence patterns, main text and notes, grammar, supplementary text, exercises, cultural notes and Fun with Chinese sections.
- Provides instructors and students with a consistent, well-organized format.
- Fun with Chinese sections introduce a common slang, idiom or motto that either utilizes new vocabulary presented in the lesson or is closely related to the theme of the lesson.
- Creatively presents specific phrases in an entertaining fashion.
- Appendix is included as a learning resource for both students and instructors.
- Includes a vocabulary list, a Simplified/ Traditional Chinese Characters Table, review of texts with Simplified and Traditional characters reading practice.
- English translation of the texts is provided.
- Makes these available for translation or interpretation practice, for self-study or in-class review.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.