...show lessEdition/Copyright: 3RD 03
- Step-by-step guidance through the writing process, illustrated with student models. Each of the six assignment chapters in Part Two walks students through the steps of the writing process: gathering ideas, drafting, revising, editing, and sharing their work with others (publishing). The assignments provide abundant writing activities and models of student writing -- including four new student essays. ...show more
- Three engaging topic choices for each assignment. Using professional readings in each assignment chapter as springboards for their writing, students generate ideas for three topics, giving them the opportunity to write about ideas of interest to them. Students then choose one of these topics to develop into an essay that fulfills the assignment.
- A progressive skill-building approach. Types of writing, themes, and critical skills are all presented in a progression through the assignment chapters in Part Two, moving students from expressive to informative to persuasive writing and from personal matters to cultural and social issues. Writing assignments and questions following each reading become more advanced; by the end of Part Two, students are ready to include sources in their writing, can distinguish fact from opinion, and can recognize logical fallacies.
- Help with writing paragraphs and with improving sentences and word choice. Chapter 3, Crafting Paragraphs, helps students develop and organize paragraphs, introductions, and conclusions. Model paragraphs in this chapter exemplify the different methods of development. In addition, each assignment chapter includes a Polishing Your Sentences and Words section that provides instruction on sentence combining and word choice, along with activities to help students practice their skills in these areas.
- More instruction on using computers and the World Wide Web than any other book of its kind. Throughout the text, boxed computer tips offer advice on how to best use word processing technology at every step of the writing process. In addition, new Web tips provide help in using online resources and using e-mail for collaborative writing.
- Help with writing for different academic situations. Part Three gives students advice on dealing with writing situations they will encounter in other college courses and includes chapters on conducting research, taking essay exams, keeping journals, and assembling writing portfolios.
- Comprehensive handbook. Part Four offers a comprehensive grammar handbook with exercises that covers issues of grammar or mechanics that students may have.
Publisher: Bedford Books
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of Choices : Basic Writing Guide With Readings: