Summary: This highly successful and widely used program has been revised, yet maintains its strong focus on oral proficiency and cultural awareness. Each thematically based chapter focuses on a functional situation found in everyday life, such as university life, dining, shopping, or the arts, which establishes a balanced skill development of grammar and vocabulary. While learning about the daily life and contemporary culture of the Italian speaking people, students are prese ...show morented with exceptionally clear grammar explanations and functional vocabulary in context. Students proceed through an abundance and variety of exercises that start more mechanical and controlled progressing toward the opportunity for self-expression in more open-ended or communicative activities related to chapter theme. Flexibility and reliability are two of the many reasons teachers adopt Ciao!Edition/Copyright: 4TH 99
- Revised scope and sequence-based on user and reviewer feedback, the program has been shortened from 20 to 18 chapters. The grammar scope and sequence has been modified to reflect this new consolidation.
- More active promotion of culture--the content and visual presentation of the Studio di parole theme vocabulary sections have been extensively updated. In addition, the related exercises and activities have been considerably revised; these are more rich and interactive, more frequently realia-based and more oriented toward active promotion of cultural knowledge and understanding.
- Expanded culture--content-related cultural information, based on chapter theme, has been added in new Informazioni sections. These add more depth and richness to the cultural presentation in the text.
- Culture of modern Italy today--many of the Pagina culturale sections, which conclude each chapter, have been completely updated and revised to give a comprehensive picture of Italy today.
- Now integrated technology for the wired world--the Ciao! CD-ROM and Ciao!World Wide Web siteenhance the entire program, taking it into the 21st century. The Ciao!CD-ROM provides students with additional grammar and vocabulary practice. The Ciao!World Wide Web site provides the student with task-based Web activities that expand upon each chapter's thematic content. These activities have students visit Web sites in the Italian-speaking world, then returning to the Ciao! Web site to complete activities based on their exploration. Visit www.hrwcollege.com.
- More Communicative activities--wrap-up activities sections, the Attivita supplementari now thoroughly integrate realia and other culturally informative visuals as a basis for the activities. The activities themselves are enhanced, more engaging and current; and many activities are more communicative.
- More pair and group work--grammar-related exercises continue to provide carefully guided practice. They also incorporate more opportunities for paired and group work.
- Unparalleled grammar presentation--clear and concise presentation of grammar in Ciao! has long been recognized as outstanding in the field and helped to make this highly successful program a popular choice.
- Graduated sequence--meticulous in leading students through a carefully graduated sequence of grammatical structures and related opportunities for practice, an approach that builds confidence and early communicative expertise.
- Experienced author team--underlying Ciao! is the authors' extraordinary grasp of Italian life and culture, which influences all aspects of the chapter presentations and development as well as providing opportunities for student practice and communication.
- UPDATED-The text has been condensed from 20 chapters to 18 chapters, the grammar scope and sequence has been revised to reflect this new consolidation. Some of the more advanced grammar points have consolidated in an appendix.
- UPDATED-The content and visual presentation of the Studio di parole theme vocabulary sections have been extensively updated. In addition, the related exercises and activities have been considerably revised: these are more rich and interactive, more frequently realia based and more oriented toward active promotion of cultural knowledge and understanding.
- NEW contemporary content-related cultural information, based on chapter theme has been added in new Informazioni sections providing more depth and richness to the cultural presentation in the text.
- UPDATED-Many of the Pagina culturale sections, which conclude each chapter, have been completely updated and revised to give a comprehensive picture of modern Italy today.
- NEW Web-based activity that are task-based expand upon each chapter's thematic content and encourages Internet exploration in areas of particular related interest. Students can choose, among other options, for example, to travel through cyberspace to Italian regions and cities, visit Italian museums and libraries, learn about Italian food and restaurants, and absorb the niceties of Italian honorific titles, business customs, and culinary etiquette.
- UPDATED-The wrap-up activities sections, the Attività supplementari , now thoroughly integrate realia and other culturally informative visuals as a basis for the activities; the activities themselves are enhanced, more engaging and current; and many activities are more communicative.
- UPDATED-The grammar-related exercises continue to provide for carefully guided practice. They also incorporate more opportunities for paired and group work.
Publisher: Holt, Rinehart & Winston