Summary: Brief, accessible, and inexpensive, this new reader has been carefully edited by text author Gary Ferraro to include those articles and excerpts from works that have been pivotal to the field of anthropology and that have endured over the decades. These eminently relevant selections allow students to further explore anthropological perspectives on key cultural topics such as culture, language and communication, ecology and economics, marriage and family, politics and ...show more social control, supernatural beliefs systems, and issues of culture change. Edition/Copyright: 04
- At less than 200 pages, this reader makes a perfect companion to any textbook. Contact your local Wadsworth sales representative to learn more about special bundle pricing.
- Carefully designed from the suggestions of prominent anthropologists teaching cultural anthropology today to include the readings that they consider the most important and valuable for their students to read.
- Readings are organized according to important topics taught in most cultural anthropology courses.
- Excerpts from timeless, well-known works such as Horace Miners', "Body Ritual Among the Nacirema," Marvin Harris' "The Potlatch," as well as selections from highly regarded, more contemporary writings such as Deborah Tannen's "Rapport-talk and Report-talk."
- Each article is preceded by an introduction to provide the reader with a better understanding of both the article's relevance and context.
- Each reading ends with discussion questions that enable students to review their comprehension of the material and to relate the topics to their everyday lives.
- If bundled with a Wadsworth text, this reader will include InfoTrac College Edition, and the student has free access to the InfoTrac database of articles. If an instructor or a student wants to read further on a particular subject, all they need to do is visit our Web site and link to InfoTrac. Each article ends with an InfoTrac icon, key search terms, and an invitation to visit the Web site.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Classic Readings in Cultural Anthropology: