Summary: This book provides comprehensive coverage of dosage calculations used in nursing practice, including applications not only for the general patient care areas, but also for specialty units such as pediatrics, critical care, labor and delivery, and the community. In addition, it is the only text on the market that presents all four major dosage calculation methods (ratio/proportion, formula, fractional equation, and dimensional analysis).Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Key Features ...show more
New to this Edition
- Coverage includes drug calculation problems in pediatrics, critical care, labor and delivery, and the community setting.
- Material includes the most up-to-date, commonly used drugs in "real world" clinical practice.
- Content presents information on infusion pumps (enteral, single, multi-channel, PCA, and insulin) to help readers understand their increased use in drug administration.
- Caution boxes alert readers to possible problems and issues related to drugs and their administration.
- A comprehensive posttest at the end of the text allows readers to test their knowledge of all major topics covered in the text.
- The dimensional analysis calculation method, which is being used increasingly in nursing programs, has been added to the examples of drug dosing and to the answers to the practice problems.
- Interpretation of Drug Labels, Drug Orders, Charting, "5 Rights," and Abbreviations chapter offers the latest information on the use of bar codes with drug delivery, computer-based medication administration systems, and the role/responsibility of the nurse with respect to these new systems.
- Body Weight and Body Surface Area section discusses these two methods of calculating drug dosages primarily used with cancer patients and pediatric patients, in addition to the four main methods.
- Vivid illustrations provide visual aids in understanding the latest types of pumps (insulin, enteral fusion, and intravenous fusion pumps).
- Coverage of needleless adapters has been incorporated into the material throughout the book.
- Intravenous Preparations with Clinical Application chapter includes photographs of the latest equipment for IV drug therapy.
- Additional practice problems on oral liquid medications have been added to the Oral and Enteral Preparations with Clinical Applications section.
- Additional drug practice problems have been added throughout the text.
Publisher: W.B. Saunders Co.
Other Editions of Clinical Calculations - With Cd: