These experienced authors have been praised for their in-depth explanations and their commitment to avoiding a cookbook approach. Their text addresses three critical issues in teaching college algebra: poor student preparation, the need for thoughtful integration of the graphing calculator, and poor student study skills. Their texts have a strong reputation built on mathematically sound presentation, excellent applications, and on challenging students to develop algebraic, graphical, and verbal mathematical skills. Goodman and Hirsch help students go beyond the mechanics of mathematics to developing a coherent strategy to solving problems.
- Functions and graphs are covered in great depth in Chapters 3 and 4. Section 3.6 is devoted to interpreting graphs.
- Different Perspectives boxes appear wherever there is an opportunity to highlight the connection between the algebraic and graphical interpretation of the same idea.
- Applications and Mathematical Modeling are integrated throughout the text. Modeling is introduced in its own section 4.3 with a special concentration of modeling problems in chapters 4, 5, and 6. These sections provide practice in skills necessary for calculus.
- Developing Problem Solving Skills: Problem Analysis is presented in a question and answer format that walks students through the process of setting up and solving problems.
- Margin Comments ask questions that help students check their understanding and provide tips to pace the reading of the material.
- Found in the Annotated Instructor's Edition, the New Resource Integration Guide makes this text eminently teachable by offering a chapter-by-chapter glimpse of how the supplements support the text's learning system, reducing the time-consuming task of choosing activities or graphing calculator exercises and directing students to valuable study aids.
- Every new copy of this text is packaged with our suite of online, customizable technology services, giving your students dynamic, flexible online tutorial resources at their fingertips. By entering a PIN code packaged with their textbook, students gain access to text-specific tutorials with step-by-step explanations, exercises and quizzes, and vMentor--live one-on-one help from an experienced mathematics tutor. For instructors, we offer highly customizable testing, course management, and diagnostic online resources that provide a dynamic way to power your course.
- Our student mastery system also includes the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM. Think of it as portable office hours! Free with every copy of this text, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction.
- In addition to robust tutorial services, your students also receive anytime, anywhere access to InfoTrac College Edition. This online library offers the full text of articles from almost 4000 scholarly and popular publications, updated daily and going back as much as 22 years. Both adopters and their students receive unlimited access for four months.