This edition has also been released as:
Summary: James Stewart, author of the worldwide, best-selling Calculus texts, along with two of his former Ph.D. students, Lothar Redlin and Saleem Watson, collaborated in writing this text to address a problem they frequently saw in their calculus courses: many students were not prepared to think mathematically but attempted instead to memorize facts and mimic examples. College Algebra was written specifically to help students learn to think mathematically and to develop tru ...show moree problem-solving skills. This comprehensive, evenly paced book highlights the authors' commitment to encouraging conceptual understanding. To implement this goal, Stewart, Redlin, and Watson incorporate technology, the rule of four, real-world applications, and extended projects and writing exercises to enhance a central core of fundamental skills.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 04
- NEW!-Each chapter now has a new Chapter Overview that gives the overarching concept of the chapter and reveals how the ideas of the chapter are relevant in modeling real-life situations.
- NEW!-A new Instructor's Guide contains points to stress, suggested time to allot, text discussion topics, core materials for lecture, workshop/discussion suggestions, group work exercises in a form suitable for handout, and suggested homework problems.
- NEW!-Available with the text, BCA Testing is a revolutionary, Internet-ready, text-specific testing suite that allows instructors to customize exams and track student progress in an accessible, browser-based format. BCA offers full algorithmic generation of problems and free response mathematics.
- NEW!-Each new copy of this text includes FREE access to BCA Tutorial, a text-specific, interactive, Web-based tutorial system. Like BCA Testing, it is browser-based, making it an intuitive mathematical guide even for students with little technological proficiency. So sophisticated, it's simple, BCA Tutorial allows students to work with real math notation in real time, providing instant analysis and feedback. The entire textbook is available in PDF format through BCA Tutorial, as are section-specific video tutorials, unlimited practice problems, and additional student resources such as a glossary, Web links, and more. The tracking program built into the instructor version of the software enables instructors to carefully monitor student progress. Results flow automatically to your gradebook.
- An extensive Focus on Problem Solving Section concludes the "Preliminaries" chapter, to provide students with the training they need before moving into new material.
- Mathematical Modeling sections, which follow the ends of every chapter, show how algebra can be applied to model real-life situations.
- Discovery/Discussion exercises and Projects encourage group learning, extended thinking about a problem, and learning by writing about mathematics.
- The material on graphing calculators is incorporated where it is most appropriate in the regular sections. However, subsections, examples, and exercises that deal with graphing devices are still labeled with an icon so that those who prefer not to use the graphing calculator can skip this material.
- Short vignettes called "Mathematics in the Modern World," show that mathematics is a living science crucial to the scientific and technological progress of recent times, as well as to the social, behavioral, and life sciences.
- NEW!-Packaged FREE with every text! Accessed seamlessly through BCA Tutorial, vMentor provides tutorial help that can substantially improve student performance, increase test scores, and enhance technical aptitude. Your students will have access, via the Web, to highly qualified tutors with thorough knowledge of our textbooks. When students get stuck on a particular problem or concept, they need only log on to vMentor, where they can talk (using their own computer microphones) to vMentor tutors who will skillfully guide them through the problem using the interactive whiteboard for illustration.
- Real-World Applications: applications from engineering, physics, chemistry, business, biology, environmental studies, and other fields show how mathematics is used to model real-life situations.
- NEW!-A new icon in the text's Exercise sets distinguishes and highlights the application exercises. Each application exercise also has a brief title so the topic of the exercise can be quickly determined.
- Mathematical Vignettes: short biographies of interesting mathematicians as well as applications of algebra to the real world.
- Review Sections and Chapter Tests: Each chapter ends with an extensive review section, including a Chapter Test designed to help students gauge their progress. Brief answers to the odd-numbered exercises in each section, and to all questions in the Chapter Tests, are given at the back of the book.
- Graphing Calculators and Computers: optional technology integrated throughout the text is marked by a special logo.
- NEW!-The former Chapter 1 is a review chapter and has been renamed Chapter P, "Prerequisites."
- NEW!-With more Focus on Modeling sections, this edition provides an even greater emphasis on modeling. These now appear at the end of every chapter, with the exception of the "Preliminary" chapter, which concludes with a Focus on Problem Solving section.
- NEW!-In response to reviewers, the authors have moved the "Equations" chapter before the "Graphing" chapter. What used to be Chapter 3 is now Chapter 1 with added material on linear equations in Section 1.1.
- NEW!-The chapter dealing with Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities has been divided into two chapters (Chapters 6 and 7) to accomodate users whose course syllabus does not include matrices.
- NEW!-Packaged with each new copy of the book, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains one video lesson for each section of the book. Problems worked are listed next to the video, so that students can work them ahead of time, if they choose. To help students evaluate their progress, each section contains a 10-question Web quiz, and each chapter contains a chapter test.
- NEW!-Icons found throughout the text point students to appropriate material on the CD-ROM and the videos.
- NEW!-A Resource Integration Guide in the Annotated Instructor's Edition demonstrates how the wide variety of text-specific and stand-alone supplements integrate with and complement the main text.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of College Algebra - With CD: