This edition has also been released as:
Summary: David Cohen's COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Fifth Edition, focuses on teaching mathematics, using a graphical perspective throughout to provide a visual understanding of college algebra. The author is known for his clear writing style and the numerous quality exercises and applications he includes in his respected texts. In this new edition, graphs, visualization of data, and functions are now introduced much earlier and receive greater emphasis. Many sections now contain more ex ...show moreamples and exercises involving applications and real-life data. While this edition takes the existence of the graphing calculator for granted, the material is arranged so that one can teach the course with as much or as little graphing utility work as he/she wishes.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 03
- NEW! Functions are now introduced in Chapter 3. This earlier treatment of functions ensures that students have greater exposure to and practice with this crucial college algebra concept.
- NEW! INTERACTIVE VIDEO SKILLBUILDER CD-ROM, is packaged FREE with every new copy of this text.
- NEW! The text is now supported by BROOKS/COLE ASSESSMENT (BCA).. Available online or on CD-ROM, browser-based BCA is fully integrated testing, tutorial, and course management software. With no need for plug-ins or downloads, BCA offers algorithmically-generated problem values and machine-graded free response mathematics.
- NEW! A text specific web site features on-line quizzes, flash cards, and chapter-by-chapter projects.
- The author has a remarkable writing style that is student friendly and yet mathematically honest.
- The GRAPHICAL PERSPECTIVE feature uses graphs to supplement the text discussion and encourage students to produce their own pictures of a graph.
- There is a strong emphasis on graphs and visualization, with numerical, graphical, and algebraic viewpoints tightly linked throughout the text, to help students understand the material.
- Coordinates and graphs are developed in Chapter 1.
- Iteration is covered from numerical, graphical, and algebraic viewpoints.
- Optional GRAPHING UTILITY exercises are available throughout the text.
- Exercises range in difficulty from simple to more complex and are designated with an "A," "B," or "C" rating.
- NEW! The role of the graphing utility is expanded in this edition. Graphing utility material has been carefully integrated throughout the text. Graphing utility exercises are now integrated into the exercise sets with an icon to identify them. Reviewers praised Cohen's thoughtful approach to the optional use of technology, lauding his realistic use of modern technologies while maintaining a solid foundation in algebraic concepts.
- NEW! Exercises have been rewritten, updating real data and applications throughout.
- NEW! In addition to the "Writing Mathematics" sections, there are now "Projects" and "Mini Projects" that appear in the section and at the ends of sections. These give students additional opportunities to discuss, explore, learn, and write mathematics.
- NEW! The book is now nine chapters rather than ten. Chapters 1 and 2 have been combined, moving some of the review material to appendices. There are Notes to students at appropriate places reminding them to consult one of the appendices if the use of one of the topics seems unclear. The material on long division of polynomials has been moved to Chapter 7, preceding synthetic division.
- NEW! Chapter 3 includes an expanded introduction to the function concept. Functions are introduced at length using algebraic, verbal, tabular, and graphical forms. Functions as models are introduced and used in examples and exercises. Implicit functions are introduced in the section PROJECT. Material on the average rate of change of a function (previously in section 4.2) has been expanded and there is an increased emphasis on applications.
- NEW! New material in Chapters 4 through 8 includes: a discussion on the use of spreadsheets in generating scatter plots and regression lines, modeling real-life data with quadratic functions (Chapter 4); discussion on the use of graphing calculators and spreadsheets in computing matrix products and matrix inverses, including new examples and exercises using matrices to code and decode messages (Chapter 6); and new material in Chapter 8 on the perihelion and aphelion for an elliptical orbit.
- NEW! This text is packaged with FREE access to TutorsEdge! Tutorsedge.com offers your students customized, interactive homework help and tutorial services online. Your students will have access, via the Web, to highly qualified tutors with thorough knowledge of our textbooks.
- NEW! INFOTRAC® COLLEGE EDITION is now automatically bundled FREE with every new copy of this text! INFOTRAC COLLEGE EDITION is a world-class, online university library that offers the full text of articles from almost 4000 scholarly and popular publications - updated daily and going back as much as 22 years. Both adopters and their students receive unlimited access for four months.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2003