Summary: Accessible to students and flexible for instructors, College Algebra, Sixth Edition, uses the dynamic link between concepts and applications to bring mathematics to life. By incorporating interactive learning techniques, the Aufmann team helps students to better understand concepts, work independently, and obtain greater mathematical fluency. The text also includes technology features to accommodate courses that allow the option of using graphing calculators. Additional ...show more program components that support student success include Eduspace tutorial practice, online homework, SMARTHINKING Live Online Tutoring, and Instructional DVDs.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 08
The authors' proven Aufmann Interactive Method allows students to try a skill as it is presented in example form. This interaction between the examples and Try Exercises serves as a checkpoint to students as they read the textbook, do their homework, or study a section. In the Sixth Edition, Review Notes are featured more prominently throughout the text to help students recognize the key prerequisite skills needed to understand new concepts.
- Updated! End-of-chapter exercises--Assessing Concepts--have been revised to include more question types including fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, and matching.
- Revised! Prepare for This Section exercises, formerly Prepare for the Next Section, have been moved from the end of each chapter to the beginning of each chapter and afford students the opportunity to test their understanding of prerequisite skills about to be covered.
- New! Calculus Connection icons have been added to indicate topics that will be revisited in subsequent courses, laying the groundwork for further study.
- New! A Quantitative Reasoning feature demonstrates math solutions to real-world problems and is compliant with MAA Guidelines and AMATYC 2006 Crossroads Revisited.
- Applications require students to use problem-solving strategies and new skills to solve practical problems. Covering topics from many disciplines, including agriculture, business, chemistry, education, and sociology, these problems demonstrate to students the practicality and value of algebra.
- Noted by a pie chart icon, Real Data examples and exercises require students to analyze and construct mathematical models from actual situations.Appearing throughout the text, Integrating Technology notes offer relevant information about using graphing calculators as an alternative way to solve a problem. Step-by-step instructions allow students to use technology with confidence.
- Exploring Concepts with Technology, an optional end-of-chapter feature, uses technology (graphing calculators, CAS, etc.) to explore ideas covered in the chapter. These investigations can be used in a variety of ways, such as group projects or extra-credit assignments. Together with Integrating Technology tips, this feature makes the text appropriate for courses that allow the use of graphing calculators.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of College Algebra: