Summary: Williams offers a refreshing and innovative approach to college algebra, motivating the topics with a variety of creative applications and thoroughly integrating the graphing calculator. Written in a clear and friendly voice that speaks to students with varying algebra skills, with a rich array of pedagogical devices to support their learning, this text teaches students to look at math from both algebraic and geometric viewpoints. Williams focuses on the underlying c ...show moreoncepts, introducing and using the graphing calculator as an integral means, not an end. This new edition is complemented by an outstanding array of innovative supplements (including online tutorials, video lessons on CD-ROM, and powerful course management and testing resources) that facilitate teaching and enhance learning.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
- NEW!-Many new applications have been added, including examples on the use of cellular telephones and traffic flow through a college campus, and an exploration in the field of cryptography.
- NEW!-Preloaded with content and available free via PIN code when packaged with this text, WebTutor ToolBox pairs all the content of this text's rich Book Companion Web Site with all the sophisticated course management functionality of a WebCT or Blackboard product. It's an ideal solution for online and distance learning needs.
- Consulting with professionals in fields such as pharmacology, bacteriology, demography, relativity, and economics, Williams provides creative applications that illustrate concepts such as the consumer awareness and queuing theory. The applications serve to introduce students to the role of math in a variety of fields. Chapter-opening applications motivate the chapter's key topics. More detail is presented later in the chapter, once students have the skills to solve the problem.
- Graphing calculators are introduced when useful and integrated throughout this text in a natural way. Students are encouraged to use them to gain geometrical and numerical insight, but without neglecting mastery of basic algebra skills. This approach allows students to explore new concepts from more than one point of view or method, perform tedious computations quickly, and strengthen their problem-solving skills. Many figures show screen output so students learn to use and interpret the results of their graphing calculators quickly and accurately.
- Almost 400 examples with detailed solutions, as well as a variety of applications, illustrate the important techniques and concepts.
- "Self-check" and "Further Ideas" problems follow many worked examples and are ideal for in-class work. The former reinforces the ideas in the example; the latter extends the example and requires original thinking. Answers to these exercises are given at the end of the section immediately before the exercise set.
- The text contains more than 3600 exercises. Each set includes routine drill problems based on the examples, and moves to original and more demanding problems. Answers to odd-numbered exercises are provided in the back of the book.
- Historical notes are found at the beginning of each chapter to enrich students' understanding of the field of mathematics.
- Explorations found throughout the text encourage students to investigate a mathematical topic or concept using the graphing calculator as a tool.
- Section projects and chapter projects extend the theory and/or applications of the chapter and are ideal for group work.
- "Group Discussion Opportunities" reinforce active and collaborative learning.
- NEW!-Additional graphing calculator material has been added where suggested by reviewers. Data used in applications and exercises has been updated throughout.
- "Chapter Highlights" of the key points and references, "Chapter Tests," and "Chapter Review Exercises" are found at the end of each chapter. A "Cumulative Review Test" is provided after every third chapter. Together, these features reinforce the key ideas, test the important skills, and pinpoint areas students should review.
- NEW!-Group Discussion Opportunities have been expanded.
- NEW!-The review chapter has been condensed, to allow for a quicker start to core material.
- NEW!-A free text-specific graphing calculator manual is available on the text's Companion Web site, providing examples and key stroke instructions to help students understand key concepts in the book, using the TI-83, TI-89, and Voyage200.
- NEW!-A Resource Integration Guide, found online at the Instructor's Web site, demonstrates how the wide variety of text-specific and stand-alone supplements integrates with and complements the main text.
- NEW!-Every new copy of this text is packaged with BCA Tutorial, our suite of online, dynamic, customizable tutorial resources that puts tools for student content mastery at their fingertips. By entering a PIN code packaged with their textbook, students gain access to text-specific tutorials with step-by-step explanations, exercises and quizzes, and vMentor--live, one-on-one online help from an experienced mathematics tutor.
- NEW!-For instructors, BCA offers highly customizable testing, course management, and diagnostic online resources that provide a dynamic way to power the course.
- NEW!-Our student mastery system also includes the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM. Think of it as portable office hours! Free with every copy of this text, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction and includes MathCue Tutorial Software.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of College Algebra : A Graphing Approach / With Cd: