Summary: College Physics, 5/e is written for a one-year course in introductory physics usually taken by students majoring in biology, the health professions, and other disciplines including environmental, earth, and social sciences, and technical fields such as architecture. This text covers the standard topics in classical and 20th century physics, using algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, but no calculus. The main objectives of this text are twofold: to provide the student ...show more with a clear and logical presentation of the basic concepts and principles of physics, and to strengthen the student's understanding of the concepts and principles through a broad range of interesting applications to the real world. In order to meet these objectives, emphasis is placed on sound physical arguments and discussions of everyday experiences and observations. At the same time, students are motivated through practical examples that demonstrate the role of physics in other disciplines.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 99
- Praised for its readability and emphasis on applications of physics.
- Virtually every section contains applications to real-life situations.
- Sections dealing with problem-solving strategies, hundreds of worked example problems and many homework problem sets allow students to become adept at problem solving.
- Both students and instructors benefit from an extensive set of ancillaries that accompanies the text.
- Available either as a complete hardcover text or as a Volume I/Volume II paperback split. Students can buy one volume without necessarily having to buy the other.
- Chapter-opening Puzzlers pose an interesting query relevant to the chapter, the answer is readily apparent after reading the text material.
- Most chapters feature one to three QuickLabs within the margin. These are simple physics demonstrations students can do at home or in the dorm, using common, everyday materials.
- New conceptual examples have been added, called Thinking Physics and Applying Physics. Thinking Physics challenges the student to think through the principles, rather than just plugging numbers into equations. Applying Physics examples are similar, but more practically oriented. Both features are within-chapter, and have answers in paragraph form, called "Explanations."
- Odd-numbered end-of-chapter Conceptual Questions are now answered at the end of the text and even-numbered ones are answered in the Instructor's Manual.
- Applications within the text are now highlighted by special marginal notes.
- Essay sections have been streamlined, and they highlight medical and biological material.
- For Further Study sections, previously in the back, have been edited and incorporated into their appropriate chapters (7,9, and 15).
- Interactive Physics software, produced by Knowledge Revolution, will allow users to run simulations keyed to certain worked examples and end-of-chapter problems in the text, chiefly from the chapters on mechanics. In the fifth edition, the simulations and the Textbook Version 3.5 of the software will be on the same CD-ROM. The Interactive Physics software, kitted with the text, will be available for only $7 more than the text alone.
- Multiple choice questions appear at the end of every chapter. Most students are still tested in pencil and paper form via the working of problems, but this short list provides practice for those who are tested in multiple choice format.
- Artwork, photographs heavily revised for greater realism, all carefully illustrate concepts.
- Saunders Core Concepts in College Physics CD-ROM, and algebra and trigonometry-based interactive CD-ROM, developed by Archipelago Productions, is available alone or as a kit component with the text.
Publisher: Saunders College Division
Other Editions of College Physics (Text Only):