Summary: COLLEGE PHYSICS provides students with a clear and logical presentation of the basic concepts and principles of physics. The authors include a broad range of contemporary applications to motivate students understanding of how physics works in the real world. In addition, new pedagogy, reflecting the findings of physics education research, has been added to help students improve their problem solving skills and conceptual understanding. The text's flexible, accessible ...show more, and focused presentation, coupled with extraordinary text/media integration through PhysicsNow, gives instructors and students the tools they need to succeed.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 06
- NEW! PhysicsNow, the ultimate web-based homework, testing, and tutorial system has been thoroughly integrated with COLLEGE PHYSICS, Seventh Edition. Several components from the text have been enhanced in the web-based PhysicsNow program to reinforce material from the text. One example of this integration and extension are the "Active Figures," which are animated diagrams from the text. In PhysicsNow, the "Active Figures" come to life and allow students to visualize phenomena and processes that can't be represented on the printed page.
- NEW! All problems have been carefully worded and have been checked for clarity and accuracy, and approximately 15% of the end-of-chapter problems are new to this edition.
- COLLEGE PHYSICS is known for a collection of outstanding end of chapter problems. For the convenience of both the student and instructor, about two thirds of the problems are keyed to specific sections of the chapter. The remaining problems, labeled "Additional Problems," are not keyed to specific sections. There are three levels of problems that are graded according to their difficulty.
- Problem solving skills and strategies are consistently and carefully presented to help students build this critical skill. These have been extensively rewritten for enhanced clarity. The text presents a general problem solving methodology and reinforces this methodology throughout the text. This feature helps students identify the essential steps in solving problems and increases their skills as problem solvers. This is also reinforced more overtly in this edition in the "Worked Examples."
- A concerted effort was made to place more emphasis on critical and conceptual thinking. Features such as "Applying Physics," "Quick Quizzes," and the end-of-chapter "Conceptual Questions" test students understanding of physical concepts.
- "Quick Quiz" questions are included throughout each chapter to provide students opportunities to test their understanding of the physical concepts just presented in the text. "Quick Quiz" questions are designed for possible use in the "peer instruction" mode and are provided in a format, which is ready to use with Personal Response Systems.
- "Tips" are placed in the margins of the text and address common student misconceptions and situations in which students often follow unproductive paths. Approximately 100 "Tips" are provided to help students avoid common mistakes and misunderstandings.
- End-of-chapter "Activities" provide broad-ranged discovery-based problems that can be assigned to groups of two or three students, either as a replacement for one or more labs or simply as short projects for the course.
- The International System of units (SI) is used throughout the book. The U.S. customary system of units is used only to a limited extent in the problem sets of the early chapters on mechanics.
- Many chapters include sections that are intended to expose the student to various practical and interesting applications of physical principles. Topics dealing with the application of physics to the life sciences are identified by the DNA icon.
- NEW! In addition, each in-text "Worked Example" resides in the PhysicsNow system as an algorithmic version of the in-text example. In PhysicsNow students are given hints and feedback to help them master the concept in the "Worked Example." They are also provided with a slightly more difficult follow-up problem to ensure they are ready to tackle the end-of-chapter homework problems.
- NEW! The Seventh Edition includes more "Worked Examples" featuring a new format. ALL in-text "Worked Examples" are presented in a two-column format, which aids student learning and helps to separate mathematics from physical concepts. Not only have the number of worked examples increased in each chapter, special care has been taken to present a range of difficulty levels within each chapter, so students are better prepared to solve the end-of-chapter problems.
- NEW! Many diagrams from the text have been animated to form "Active Figures," part of the PhysicsNow integrated Web-based learning system. By visualizing phenomena and processes that can not be fully represented on a static page, students greatly increase their conceptual understanding. Active Figures are easily identified by their red figure legend and PhysicsNow icon, and the caption after the icon describes briefly the nature and contents of the animation.
- NEW! Approximately 30 of the "Worked Examples" have been identified as "Interactive Problems" and labeled with the PhysicsNow media icon. As part of the PhysicsNow Web-based learning system, students can engage in an extension of the problem solved in the "Worked Example". This often includes elements of both visualization and calculation, and may also involve prediction and intuition building.
- NEW! A new "MCAT Test Preparation Guide" in the text preface serves as a valuable study tool for students taking the course to prepare for this exam. The "Guide" outlines key concepts and directed review activities from the text and PhysicsNow program to help get students up to speed.
- NEW! For ease of reference, the "End-of-Chapter Summary" format is now organized by each individual chapter heading.
- NEW! An increased number of life science oriented applications and end-of-chapter problems, identified by the DNA icon, help motivate students to master the content.
- NEW! From the books design to the prose, COLLEGE PHYSICS, Seventh Edition, features a completely rethought and streamlined presentation of physics. Instructors will notice a cleaner and clearer dialogue with the student, an uncluttered look and feel, and careful attention paid to language.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2006