This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Volume 2 (chapters 16-30): College Physics is the best solution for today's college physics market. With a unique, new, approach to physics that builds a conceptual framework as motivation for the physical principles, consistent problem solving coverage, stunning art, extensive end-of-chapter material, and superior media support, Giambattista, Richardson, and Richardson delivers a product that addresses today's market needs with the best tools available. Edition/Copyright: 04
...show moreFeatures :
- New approach to college physics--Giambattista was developed from the notes and experiences of authors sitting next to students in study labs explaining physical principles on a daily basis. The authors found that students were able to grasp principles much more easily, completely, and remember those principles, if they were discussed with-in the context of something students were already familiar with and could relate to. The "Conceptual Framework" approach was developed and all physics concepts are presented to students in such a fashion.
- Because of the conceptual framework approach, the authors have integrated kinematics with forces in chapters 2-4.
- This presentation uses force as the central theme and presents kinematics as a natural extension that is necessary to provide a mathematical description of motion that results from a force being applied. This prevents the material from becoming compartmentalized and viewed as something to memorize instead of understand. This approach allows for a gradual exposure to one-dimensional forces, two-dimensional and then multi-dimensional forces. Students also benefit from being exposed to vectors and their terminology much sooner, allowing them to sharpen their skills on simpler situations and then gain confidence as they continue through the force chapters.
- Problem Solving Approach: Giambattista/Richardson/Richardson employs a consistent approach to the presentation of examples. Every example includes strategy, solution, discussion, and practice problem (with answer at end-of-chapter). Care is taken to make sure that students are equipped with tools to solve problems and that they do not just memorize steps to solve that one example problem. Students learn how to approach problems and know what to expect when they look at the examples. The consistent format ensures students are on track with the authors at all times throughout the book.
- Unparalleled Illustration Program: Giambattista offers an incredible visual program that combines "showcase" pieces with diagrammatic pieces to aid student understanding. The showcase pieces are designed to be used with concepts that tend to be difficult for students to understand. These showcase pieces allow students to visualize more difficult situations. The integrated diagrammatic art, helps to break that difficult situation into a simple model.
- Extensive End-of-Chapter Material which includes: Master These Concepts (summary of concepts as well as the integrated equations); Highlighted Figures and Tables.
- Problems--clearly, one of the most closely scrutinized portions of any college physics textbook is the end-of-chapter material including but not limited to the quality and quantity of problems. The Giambattista/Richardson/Richardson problems have consistently reviewed very well and have been quadruple checked for accuracy. The various problem types are as follows: * Conceptual Questions; * Multiple Choice Review Questions (with more on the website); * Problems by Section (featuring paired problems) * Comprehensive Problems; * Combination Problems (quantitative and conceptual problems combined)
- Chapter 8, presents another great example of how the Conceptual Framework approach has influenced presentation. Rotational kinetic energy is now introduced first since it usually is the easiest of the rotational quantities for the student to understand. It also leads in a very natural way, to the necessity of rotational inertia. Torque, one of the most difficult concepts for many students, is introduced after the student already has some understanding of other rotational concepts.
- ALEKS for College Physics! This tremendously successful math tutorial system is available with the Giambattista text. This program focuses on only with the math operations needed for college physics. ALEKS determines students current knowledge base, identifies where they need help, and then supplies that student with additional information and problems; allowing students to master those math concepts once and for all!
- Interactive Applets! These "Interactives" offer a fresh and dynamic method to teach the physics basics by providing students with applets that are completely accurate and work with real data. Interactives allow students to manipulate parameters and gain a better understanding of 15 of the more difficult physics topics by watching the effect of these manipulations. Each Interactive includes a tutorial describing its function to maximize interaction and learning.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2004